I'm amazed at the amount of trash we have collected in the desert. We have found some strange things out there. I am excited because I just got news that a grant I applied for through MCAD (Museum of Cultural Affairs Department) was awarded to me for $5000. With that money I am going to hire local artists and buy art supplies to give workshops throughout the community about how to use trash to create artwork, promoting recycling. Here are a couple of photos from our cleanups so far. Lots of plastic and beer bottles have been collected. I'm trying to think of projects that we can do with these materials. Pinterest has been my friend in this effort. Any suggestions from you are welcome. I'm trying to really do something that will blow the community away for the art exhibit we're going to have. I want it to make an impact.































Hi, I am doing an IN MEMORY project with my students(see below) but I have seen some art works created with plastic water bottles after they have been picked up.I will post them for you after class.Also another cool idea is wearable art out of trash when I was in Australia working on my phD I met someone who made wearable art using the plastic tabs from like bread etc and then made a performance with the costumes and also plastic bags that she found thrown on the streets,she sewed them together and even took it to the Philippines to teach people there about recyclable and trash...My students are making a tapestry out of trash informed by El Anatsui and his tapestry.This is a wonderful project you are doing and congrats on the grant
ReplyDeleteLooks awesome Candie. I'm stoked to see what ya'll do and to see more pics!
ReplyDeleteSusan, I like the wearable art idea! We thought we could make an outfit our of trash and send it to Lady Gaga lol. I would love to see your pictures.
ReplyDeleteZack- thanks so much! I'll post more pics soon.
Maybe you could do workshops to make smaller(ish) projects and then one (or more) larger collaborative project. Thanks for the sharing the photos! Looks like the students enjoyed the fresh air. It is good to get out of the classroom every now and then anyways. There are so many things you can do with these collected materials! I do a jewelry unit every year and we use plastic bottles, cans and their tabs, and the to-go containers from fast food restaurants. Heat guns do some really cool things to the plastic!
ReplyDeleteThanks, April! I'd love to see some of the work if you have pictures.
DeleteCandie, I am so happy for you and this project and congrats on your grant! How marvelous!! It is truly heartwarming to see one of our own putting practice into place and making a difference. Good for you! You might also check out Anthropology's website- they make great window/installation/art out of mostly recycled material. Possibly one of their window designs might inspire you with your trash. There was an article in school arts magazine how students were instructed to create couture out of ordinary items that we wouldn't normally think of as an art mediums.
ReplyDeleteCandie,I too am amazed at the extensive collection of discarded things your group had found.Debbie's idea is also interesting in the re purposing aspect of trash.The animal life is also interesting as many creatures hide under the trash and are then discovered...Bravo!
ReplyDelete