Sunday, December 18, 2016

Aftermath: Some thoughts

I will be sending a group email shortly. I just wanted to say how impressive the diversity of your projects are: some of you are at the beginnings, some of you are in the middle of things, and some of you are moving toward some endings. They were all interesting and thought-provoking--and for me, all different. Your ideas and efforts shot the moon. I have never seen such an array of media used.

I am not one to criticize. I have followed your posts and your doubts and concerns. I hope you knew I was your best or better cheerleader--always on your sides. There is no other place I can be, if ethically I am learning alongside each of you. I am just in awe of what I have sat through today for about five hours--reading and perusing, enjoying images and stories, feeling sad at times, but never helpless.

The purpose of this class the way I have it structured is to witness and learn as much as we can from the artists and authors chosen, and from our own stories. It's when I know I am invited to a table, where I may feel courageous enough to speak/post--and maybe even begin to tell some truths. So often in teaching and in academe, few people are writing or saying anything that rings true to me. What each of you did, whether is was in a self-assured strong moment, or in a very weak--what the heck do I even attempt to do--you all have mapped out ways of hope and possibility--and that is what I think we need in teaching and research today. Not looking at what da Vinci did, but looking inside in terms of who I am and what I am capable of doing. That was showcased in the Roads to Junction book. Many testimonies of courage and doubt--that when I read as reader, seems fantastically magical and important--as is all of our lives, doubts, insecurities, passions, fears, loves. How to blend in my story/stories into my life or art or research. That's what I hoped each of you could and did do.

So, thank you for a wonderful semester or testimonies, portraits, questions, helping each other, and helping me as a co-learner as well. I hope you all have a nice break. Please feel free to email me if you have specific questions about your project. Just to remind you of how the grading goes:

Course Requirements

Participation  This course is taught as an online seminar/salon so each student is responsible for keeping up with the reading as well as participating in weekly class postings. This is a reading intensive class. I expect you to participate in class postings, contributing ideas and your perspectives on topics. I am expecting you to post a minimum of four times each week. There will be more about this on the actual blog. (60%)

Semester Project/Making Art/Reflective Writing  The main purpose for a semester project is for you to experiment with writing/making art/developing a concept/etc. about a topic or theme of personal/professional interest. This includes making and/or writing about art; making/designing a performative piece; writing poetry/a play; etc. If you decided to make art based on our readings, I am asking that you write a minimum of 1,000 words (4 double-spaced pages) describing/documenting your ideation, methods, and other issues related to your art piece/s. Your semester project may be environmentally or socially related, personally/teacher-related, or art-related; something you are currently working on. You can write about a research topic in relation to course themes and community, art making or teaching that you are interested in beginning to explore this semester. APA manuscript publication style may be used but it is not necessary. But please publish your references for your project in APA Style. (30%)

Reflective Positive Feedback  You are responsible for reading other class member final online projects with positive constructive criticism. (10%)    

Attendance  Online postings are mandatory. Discussion of the content of reading material will occur in class postings. If you miss a week’s postings, you still need to keep up with reading the blog. You might even email other class students for what you missed. You will post missed week’s posts always on the current week’s posts, letting us know you are posting from last week’s readings. 

The actual blog posting, at a minimum of 4 posts per week is 60%.
Project 30%
Reflective feedback of classmates projects 10%

I will be sending a group email as well shortly. Thank you again for seriously engaging our texts and each other. Incredible posts and projects throughout. It was an honor to be a part of this course. Thank you. Ed 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Ed! As I have come to expect- interesting and enlightening reading and discussions.

    ReplyDelete