Thursday, December 8, 2016

Week 15: Post all catch-up posts for previous chapters here

Post any remaining catch-ups for preceding weeks here. Just let us know what weeks and chapters they are for. Thanks.

24 comments:

  1. I have been busy completing my thesis, giving my defense & my show!! I'm done! I'm going to try to upload it so I can share it with you all. What a journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upload it under the other Week 15 for projects. Hope you will mention your moon gathering as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (WEEK 14)

    Honoring:
    This section pulled on heart strings. James. Oh, how I cried when we all said our goodbyes to him. What a gentle, loving soul. And wow! THE biggest hands. Watching him on the wheel, gently moving the clay with his hands, and building these massive pieces that represented his smooth personality and large presence. And, the glass pad. What fun entertainment every night! Yes, they were the rockstars.

    I had to think about who has impacted me. Who left a mark or influenced me to where I can identify how I changed because of this person. Who has made me who I am today…

    My father: He was a single dad and raised the two of us. He was and still is one of the most reliable and consistent people I know. He was there and he meant what he said. He was frugal and knew to splurge on a road trip a couple times a year. He was passionate about photography in his younger years and reading when we were growing up. He was a bit of a loner and enjoyed “doing his own thing.” On weekends, we would go for a hike or he would be found doing yard work, tinkering with his cars or having a beer with a neighbor. I attribute many things to him but most importantly my love for travel and learning. I honor my father for encouraging me to become the strong, independent woman I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (week14) Wow, I can certainly relate to Moe D. concerning fear. I judge myself too hard against other artists. Most times, what is in my head does not relate to what I actually put on paper or canvas. I need to remember MOST artists go through several attempts to get one piece right. The process and growth matters, but actually doing rather than not doing is what really matters. I enjoyed her story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (week 10) The stories in this book deeply moved me. This is one I will re-read over and over. The words from their stories float in my head throughout each day. Trauma and Recovery are interesting. I have known some people who invite trauma into their lives as if they depend on it like a drug. It is possible they are addicted to the recovery, “being saved”. There are times I feel trouble and trauma are at my door more than I want them to be. Fascinating to me to hear of the stories of my staff so far it is about 50/50 : lives of trauma vs. the vanilla life. What causes some people to have more than their fair share? Could any of it been avoided? I feel during and recovering from trauma we all grasp and cling to something.. could be tangible or not. This something is a survival mechanism in our brain that helps us stay at the surface – staying present, hanging on. For instance:, rewriting the script, inventing a language, scripture, hold on to an object, the dolls. These “ways” are the life vest in rough seas. I definitely needed something to hold to during my long treatment months- my mom. She and I do not always get along. We are completely two different people. But I was taught early on to look for her worth and value-what she is and not what she isn’t to me. I did not handle chemo well at all. I was the less that 1% who’s side effects were the extreme. Hospitalization and drugs that basically put me out, kidney failure, staph infection, Chemo was trauma. I needed her. I needed to know she was in the room with me. I felt she alone was the only person to keep me from giving in to it all. She fought that cancer along with me. She was NOT my recovery. As I slowly recovered, gained strength, re-engaged, she went home. She did not pocess the skills to help my soul and my mind rebuild itself. I had to seek professional help. Today we are back to the strained relationship we had once before, strange isn’t it? Often, I feel my parents (yes, dad included) just cant let go and let my brothers and I have our own lives. I am way over-parented-for now I accept their need to hang on- my perspective is thankful to have had that life line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Week 14 - Honoring... what a hard question. The teachers here in this program are so important to me. I have several friends who are wonderful sounding boards for my work. A woman that retired from my school 2 years ago was such a gentle influence on me. She is British and taught AP studio art. She was great for art or teaching situations. I love it when I get to see her once in a while, I need to make it more often. Thanks for asking this question, Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. (week 14) Reading Jayson Luce’s passage reminds me of when I first starting teaching. Although I did not know exactly how rewarding teaching art would be before I was hired as an art educator, I have to say each and every year my passion for art teaching grew and was rekindled every summer for the next school year. It has been the most rewarding career I could have ever chosen. I am thankful every day. I feel I am with Jayson in that I struggle to find the vessel in which to represent my visions and ideals. I feel this course, my first course in the MAE program, has really opened my eyes to art happenings around me. This is the growth or spreading of my wings I am looking for. It is a struggle, I will not lie- stretching my brain hurts. But it is a beautiful and worthwhile struggle. I feel in my attempt to leave the classroom nest, I, too, will probably change course as Jayson did for I am a little lost at times. It is okay with me, all part of the journey right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie- yes it is very rewarding at times. When I get super frustrated (which is often, but mainly with the system) I always think back to those special moments that make everything worth the fuss. I agree, it is a struggle but I like to think of it as a beautiful struggle because we are growing so much. All of the connections being made are pretty powerful too! What a semester this has been and even though we are all communicating online, I feel that I have learned a lot about and from each person in this course!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Week 8: I'm amazed to see how everyone incorporates their students experiences into the artwork they make in class. Maybe it is because I am so new to the field, but I often times show students an artist and then we do a demo and get to making art quickly. I sometimes forget to tell kids to express their own ideas and experiences, although I do have a few students that do this anyway, I feel as though I could do a better job incorporating personal experiences and viewpoints in artworks.

    week 9 (cont.) Since my artwork is generally autobiographical, I often use my sketchbook as a journal and many of the entries are part drawing, part writing, and sometimes I take my journal to therapy with me and draw my anxiety and depression levels. Fly's work resonated with me in a structural sense. She divides her work into private and public sections and I do this as well, as I'm sure many other artists do as well. I have my main sketchbook, which I have numbered sequentially since middle school. I also have sketchbooks in my classroom, car, bedroom nightstand so that I am never far away when inspiration hits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Week 8 cont.: Muscio described their family as splintered after the death of her father. I understand this feeling completely. To be honest, I really appreciated the work this artist created and it's function in grieving, but I can't help but feel tired of death, talking about death, mourning, and all the anxieties that come along with it.

    Not to say this artists words are unimportant or that we shouldn't talk about it and at times even embrace it. I'm personally just emotionally exhausted when it comes to this topic.

    With all of that being said, I love the writing style this artist uses in the writing. The small breaks of text that divide larger paragraphs are an interesting addition and I like the pace it creates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Week 7: This is probably my favorite book we have read this semester, because eco related issues are something that I overlook in my everyday life and professional practice.

    As I find it impossible to choose between 2D, 3D, and 4D artworks and constantly switch between them, I loved Superfelx's section of this book. The Guarana Power roject was incredible to me, because who decides to create and market energy drinks as a form of activism and art!? I think the color coded phases of research and creation was very inspiring as well. How would my practice be organized? What colors would I use? How can I use this in my classroom? Colored sheets of paper in student sketchbooks? Have students collage ideas and create work based on that? I left this section of the book with many, many questions and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Week 6 (catch up): Marjetica PotrĨ was my favorite artist of this section of reading. They Duncan Village Core Unit reminded me of the artwork of Ana Serrano. She created a barrio in a gallery and the work was about the elevation of material and the notion that Craft is as important as any oil painting or marble sculpture. I feel as though the village slum is similar in many aspects, however the inclusion gardening and water collecting in the gallery puts a larger focus on function rather than aesthetic. All in all I think the artwork is very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Week 11 – I can relate to Dana Miller because I too have questioned what was “my place of belonging in the world”. I have asked myself many of the same or close to the questions she asked herself. After my divorce I went into a “self-doubting crisis” for about two years. I always questioned what could have I done differently and why was I not good enough. I feel that everyone has doubted themselves at times. About a month ago, at church the sermon was about Trauma. Everyone’s trauma is different or their reaction to their trauma is different. I learned from this sermon that the best way to deal and overcome your traumas is to take time for yourself. I need to practice taking time for myself by setting boundaries and learning to so no. I also need to take care of my health better (more exercise). I need to think more positively about myself and the things I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I think it is very cathartic to read about what someone else has gone through and be able to relate to it. And I agree about trauma and how we all react and recover in different ways.

      Delete
  15. Week 11 - I loved James Perry’s Old Telephone building. I have a fondness for repairing and restoring old buildings. I have fond memories of time spent remodeling the homes I have had over the past 20 years. I remember the first house I bought. It was in LaPort, Tx and about 100 feet from the bay. The first time I walked into the house, I was like no way but my ex said it just needs a little paint. I remember walking through the grass and weeds that were waist high. The living room looked like it had not been lived in for a long time. There was still some furniture and lots of dirt but the thing that caught my eye was the ceiling tiles that were on the floor. So I looked up and you could see strait into the attic. I think working on that house was one of the enjoyable experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  16. (Week 14)
    Mittler's piece was amazing and really connected to me personally as a teacher. I also teacher photography and have struggled with how to relate the ever changing technology to what I am doing as a teacher. Part of me wants to preserve the past and teacher the students how to really make art and learn the darkroom. But this hard because students show such little interest with all the digital tools at their finger tips. I have even considered opening up the class to the use of iphones. After all, every student has one and they really do take some pretty amazing pictures. I looked up Mittler and Johnson High School, but she doesn't work there anymore, so I found her personal website. It has inspired me to revisit the iphone idea if maybe just for a 6 weeks project. I can also relate to Mittler about leaving what she went to school for in order to rejoin the art world and just be happy. As many of you know, my undergrad is in business. I worked as an investment consultant for about 6 years. I hit a point where I was making great money and actually really enjoyed my job, but art was missing from my life. I got certified and and left the business world in order to teach. Best decision I ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Week 12 - Shannon Walton I met Shannon about 5 years ago when I was substituting at the school that she works at. I had the privilege of teaching her step-daughter, which has a great love for art. I was very excited to see her story in the book. I know how strong of a woman she is. I love her ceramic artwork especially the Pieces around the fire. I admire her work and the woman she has become. She is a great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Week 12 - Marisa Mejia I found the artwork on the chivas’s interesting. It made me wonder about how the drivers and cashiers perceived the artwork. I also wondered if the owners had favorites or was it all about the money. I really admire how these artists are so dedicated to their art. I find myself wanting to do more art and to make it a constant or routine of taking the time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Week 14 – Shawn Knuckles I love the contemporary feel of his paintings. I like how he represents the nature as wood and tree branches. It makes me feel that the nature is trying and maybe taking back what technology has destroyed, taken over, and covered up. This past summer in Fredericksburg I made jewelry out of Styrofoam. I made a necklaces and bracelet that I added a little stick to represent nature and how nature can overcome obstacles. I also casted Styrofoam into rings and pendants.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Weekk 14, Jayson is such a neat person, and reading this just brings him to life to me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Week 14 - David Bondt I learned a lot about David Bondt by reading his about communities. I met David when he took over the afterschool art program at my school. I had not thought of it as “living both inside and outside the doors of community, and how belonging is almost universally essential to the person”. The more I thought about it, I watch the students and how their lives were different from at school and at home. How the expectations were different. And how all the kids just want to “belong” in both places. I have watched David teach and love how he is so patient, consistent, and persistent.

    ReplyDelete