Monday, November 14, 2016
Artist Paul Cummins created an installation of 888,246 clay poppies as a symbol of remembrance for the anniversary of the first world war in London. What a memorable event.. I so wish I could have been a part of the creation or at least seen the display at the Tower of London in 2014. So, my co teacher and I decided to have our students create a poppy installation for Veterans Day. Our student population of nearly 1000 students made this a HUGE undertaking.. poppies were everywhere. Luckily, I had some amazing volunteers to help with the process. Countless hours slabbing, storing, bisque firing, glazing, and glaze firing, and finally the install. Since my kiln is a baby, we had to fire at three other schools, which meant late evenings unloading and reloading the kiln. But, it was worth every second :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How wonderful!What a great idea...
ReplyDelete