Hope you all have a good holiday break. Feel free to post responses from chapters you are trying to catch-up on. Just let me know what weeks they are for. There are no assigned readings this week.
(Week 12) Robert Rynearson's chapter Following His Bliss,
Following my bliss has currently lead me to taking a break from teaching art and to travel. I am still teaching, but not art. I teach English in Beijing. But I know that that’s not what I want to continue doing in the future. Upon reading Following Your Bliss by Robert Rynearson it just confirmed that I am where I need to be. For many years, I worked in jobs that I hated because of financial need, the economic times, and fear. I worked ten years in retail first to get through college and then because of the economic downturn. I then took a job in a print shop doing graphic design because everyone told me that I should use my degree and they saw me doing and being in an artistic job. After six months of constant worry and lack of sleep I decided to go into to teaching instead. Even though I did a decent job in my first year I still felt something was missing. I had missed out and so much travel between seven and a half years of university and economic troubles. I knew that I need to shake up the routine. I am not someone that likes staying too long in a pattern. For about 12 years I was keeping the same patterns and habits. Deciding to move across the world has lead me back to wanting to teach art again. It is also helping me to broaden my outlook on life, the world, people, and myself. I am on the road to accepting myself and my sexuality. If I wasn’t following my bliss I still would be in the same holding patterns and routines back home; and I would still be burying my true self.
Liz Reyes' Joyriders.
In eighth grade, I started doing cross country. That’s where my love of running developed. I haven’t kept up with it over the years. I would go back to it on and off over the next few years. I enjoyed reading about Liz’s Joyriders because it reminds me of few times that I hit the running high. I first heard about Liz’s Joyriders when I attended the big public school art convention in San Antonio, Texas in 2014. I attended the TTU session and got to hear about her project and from students who had attended junction and did the MAE program. I can relate to Liz experience in the 100-mile race when she met the Holy Spirit. Growing up in church you learn about the holy trinity. I have had my own encounter growing up where I had this overwhelming sense of peace settle upon me in times of need and distress when I called out to God. I love that Liz’s art is about helping others. That’s one of my motivation for becoming an art teacher. I wanted to help others fall in love with and appreciate art. I lost that feeling in the stress and hustle of being a first year teacher.
(WEEK 11 additional catch-up + start of WEEK 12 response)
Well to start, I just want to say wow! Dana Miller's colorful mosaics. When I first read that whole chapter I was using a tiny device and did really examine the photos. I would love to have a paper version of this book when available. I think it will be valuable resource when I have to defend myself to my principal every time he thinks I'm a crazy art person. Adding art to every school not only cultivates the meditative environment Dana mentions, but it engages learning as a whole. Boring, tan and drab walls are not very enticing to anyone so why would we leave them like that for schools?? Multiple studies have been conducted on colors and the feelings they evoke, so why not use that knowledge when painting the school walls. One day I might just paint my walls to see what happens. Also, her story about Brittani resonated with me because I have many students like that. When I sit and think about all of the things some of my students go through on a daily basis it brings me to tears. The student who is homeless, the student who has no food in the pantry, it is all too much sometimes because I want to do so much but I am limited. The clothing closet I started at my campus has helped tremendously however. It has been in the works for 3 years now.
Week 12- Right away I was drawn into Laara essay because of her ability to “change and shift topics”. I bet it was hard to do that when almost finished with a project. Her story offers a unique perspective and helps me understand more of where some of my students are coming from because some have moved to Texas from Mexico in hopes of a better life. These first hand accounts show the reality of the violence. In no way am I comparing the harsh life of Juarez for the middle class to my experiences growing up in Farmers Branch, but that are some parallels. 20-30 years ago it was a great place to raise a family for the middle class but as time went by, gangs and drug violence started to take over. When I was in my early teens I recall hearing gun shots almost every night, and seeing that yellow caution tape wasn't anything surprising. It got worse as time went by and I'm lucky I was able to relocate in high school. I went back for a visit while I was in the area for the TAEA conference but just got depressed. Nothing was the same, everything was run down and businesses closed. Also, her Pray for Peace project is inspiring and I think students of all ages could participate. I am re-reading from W. Clark's essay forward on another device (I hate reading electronically it is hard for me), but right away I know I will enjoy his story. He seems to have a good sense of humor and an open mind. Learning about crafts more from another course has always taught me to respect wood turning even more.
Finding the Sound with My Eyes by Staci Powers almost made me cry. I hate when bad things happen to children. No matter if it’s in a movie, book, or real-life. I have a sweet spot for kids. Even though I currently don’t want to have any kid of my own. I spent enough years helping with my cousins and niece and nephews. I have seen them go from babies to adults. I feel like I’ve helped-out my aunts and brother enough. Even though I am not creating art right now I want to use it to explore the confusion I feel between religion and my sexuality.
Like Marco I love folklore and would like to explore that in my own art. Even to this day I am constantly creating worlds and characters in my head. It’s my way of dealing with tough times and negative emotions. I take elements of comic books, manga, sci-fi, mythology, and folklore to create my worlds. I should take the time to illustrate or flesh out these stories on to paper.
(week 11) I found Lilia Cabrera thoughts as an art teacher interesting. I have been using a certain brand of acrylic paint for many years as an art teacher. I pour the color into a round tray with small shallow wells and it is stored with a clear cover until the next week when the students come back. Sometimes the cover isn’t all that tight and unfortunately the paint dries. One time long ago I filled the sink with water and placed the dried up paint trays in to soak. I discovered the paint would peel right out and keep the shallow well shape. They were interesting to me. I laid them to dry and started to collect as many colors as I could every time we painted. I am a saver of the interesting, the odd, the textural, the colorful in the art room. Ephemera is what they call it today, I think.. I just call it my cabinet of really cool art junk. One year my fifth graders made element books out of 5 paper lunch sacks. We folded and glued them forward, backward, halfway, and flipped into a unique little book that just happened to have 7 sections inside to represent the elements. We then went about creating the pages using anything we possibly could think of to represent and render the 7 elements of art. It definitely was a mixed media book and the students had a great time manipulating materials creatively. I offered one particular creative student my collection of dried acrylic scoops to use on her “color” page., which turned out to be one of the best pages for color. I couldn’t believe Cabrera used them in one of her paintings! I loved it!
I think I'm going to go with my original idea of taking pictures of the pollution at the same time everyday for a week. Then write/ journal about how this affects me on a daily basis. I may even get recordings of my friends to go along with this.
I think my semester project is gonna be a collection of stories that shaped my life up until this point. I was thinking a journal, but I can't seem to post anything I type. Journal's are too intimate, stories can be intimate too, but I feel as though they can be more entertaining, both to read and to write.
As you all know probably already, I'm really tune in to people when they bring up the meditative qualities found in their processes. Liz Reyes with her running. James mentioning last week the meditative impact in his art making. This resonates with me.
I began honing in on this in my classroom 4 years ago to control the volume and unnecessary talking. The kids bought into it to my surprise. It caught me off guard seeing the kiddos understanding the meditative properties in art making, and "turning off their left brains to make their right brains stronger." Ha, I ensured them that it wouldn't hurt! With their voices off or at a level that wouldn't stimulate other left brains in the class room, they were surprised that their art actually would turn out much better. I was even surprised. My trick worked. But I guess it wasn't a trick after all.
Some would say that they were "just concentrating," and this could be very true. However, I've seen what happens when you tell elementary kids to concentrate. It's subjective and almost undefinable for this age. I believe they don't know how. I have found that explaining what the left brain controls (language comprehension and speaking) versus the right brain (creativity along with spatial abilities and visual comprehension), and then linking it to the process of art making, enables them to understand why it is important to limit classroom chatter. Their artwork turns out better, and my room is quieter with a delightful art making hum. What art teacher dreams are made of. Win, win.
While sense deprivation enables other senses to be elevated, I'm wondering if I'm actually doing this in a controlled environment. Like by providing "elective" sense deprivation I'm allowing/encouraging spatial and visual comprehension to be heightened?? Thinking out loud...
Do you play music for them? That also elevates the senses. I have even found music that claims it is the ultimate concentration arrangement because the underlying beat is a heartbeat. Interesting huh? I agree with your statement about "concentrate". It is possible children translate this word into meaning "get to work". I do explain how talking ( left brain ) and creating ( right brain ) compete to be number one. So if painting is our goal today, I wouldnt let talking take first place. I have discovered that it does take children a little time to wind down or shift gears from the silence of the classroom. Once they get into the mode or the meditative process begins, clean up is right around the corner. Once I give them their 2 minute warning, I hear, "aw!!! I was just really getting into it." Then I find that transitioning to clean up is difficult. They don't want to leave. I would be interested into discovering what is the right amount of art making time children grades K-5 really need to stay engaged before their attention span begins to wane.
Debbie, Yes! I do play music for them. I generally will play music that has no words, more instrumental or nature sounds. I believe that it does help them concentrate and get into their right brains. We even take a pole during this and I ask if they feel like the music is helping them produce and create better. Most to all agree :)
Jennifer, I believe that what you refer to as" a controlled environment" really is good.Perhaps their young mind cannot comprehend what you are doing for them now.But, this should reap long term creative benefits for them especially in this culture of such ongoing distraction and attention grabbing.I agree with Debbie's comment about getting the students into the meditative process of art making.It is almost like hypnotism, where a metaphorical "bell" is rung or something is done as a transition from the making process to waking up from this realm.I still remember my Kindergarten experience of 50 plus years.Our teacher was so effective in engendering a mu career as an artist-educator.Teachers need the encouragement of more immediate student results and the gratification which comes from art work produced.However,time reveals the impact(s)! Thanks for your post!
I just love how this book utilizes the MAE thesis papers, Ed. I remember in Helen's class a couple years ago, she had us read some of the papers at the end of the class, I guess similar to what you have done in the past. If I could have read more of them, I would have. I even remember reading some of these in Roads to Junction during that semester. When I'm done with this book, I'd love to read more. Do you know how we can access the papers online? Helen, had explained it to us then, but I forgot. Would love to read one a day!
Meant to include this in the previous post: While I'm approximately 2/3 of the way through the MAE program, it's such a bonus to be able to read these. So many walks of life produce so many different outcomes. Fascinating.
In response to Candie from last week, I also enjoy knowing where the artists come from. Like Bob for example, sounds like he was lost for a long time. Comforting to know that I don't have to be consumed in one art process from a young age to become an amazing artist. It comforts me since I haven't found "that one" art material that sings to me. As I mentioned before, I love bouncing around between mediums. I pick what ever is most suitable for the environment (i.e. watercolor on a hike because its light to carry, painting at home because that's where my materials are, ceramics at school because my classroom is more equip for mess control, drawing while touring a city or in a coffee shop).
Is it possible to not have one particular medium that you flourish in to be an "artist" though? Is it ill-advised to not have a line of products that are from the same material? Is breadth not as valuable as depth in the art world?
(week 12) Jennifer, I do believe it is possible to be proficient in a variety of mediums and still be an artist. Picasso comes to mind as he was a painter, sculptor, worked in metals, clay, wood..to me that shows depth as an artist. I, myself, enjoy different mediums to express my art... the biggest hurdle for me is what to create. ( I think we all feel that way sometimes ). Being an elementary teacher and teaching a variety of mediums, I find the beauty in every stroke, lines in printmaking, layering glazes in clay- materials seem to inspire me more so than subject matter. Hopefully, I can grow in this area. In my opinion, depth and breadth go hand in hand as an artist.
Debbie, I teach foundations studies in both two and three dimensional art.My undergraduate and graduate work was narrowly defined "as painter". My media challenges weer expanded into other realms including photography and printmaking.I love your quote about beauty in every stroke.The artist sees their handwriting in the art form no matter what medium is used to express.Nature study is what I have learned from the great artists of the past:"My aim in painting is to create pulsating, luminous, and open surfaces that emanate a mystic light, in accordance with my deepest insight into the experience of life and nature"(Hans Hofmann). When we see it in our own work, we immediately recognize it in our students!
(Week 10) Katy… I too feel my classroom saves me. I am not sure if it is the space or the learning but being passionate about teaching art is what I am so ultimately, it is what saves me. As much as one would think little children would drain you- which it does- they are the ones who fill you right back up with their love, sincerity, and innocence. Public school can suck you dry leaving you with little or no creativity. It is the business of business and the new initiatives every year compounding each. and. every. year. That’s what is draining. One year in particular we as a staff had to read, ‘Teach like a Pirate”. It was a good book.. but as an art teacher I already come to life with my lessons and stories. My passion spills over to the students. In the book, there is a statement that most teachers say “just let me teach” which the school districts are trying to strip from the teachers. With district lessons planned out to the minute there is no way personal creativity can inject anywhere. Teachers are drones. I am thankful to be in the art room where freedom and creativity abounds and I can be in the business of teaching art. Yea, I still have the same initiatives as the teachers but I reshape most to fit the learning style of the art room. Otherwise, it would not be my room really, nor my lessons, nor my safe place. Thank God for the arts and the safety within.
Truthfully, I'd have to admit that I was a little disappointed when the book ended. I wanted more. This book completely sucked me in. Strangely, I felt a part of each of their lives, I was drawn in, heavy hearted, and even shed tears at the end of some of their stories. Where are they now? I did my research on each one.. finding all I could - wanting to see if they survived and if they flourished. Actually, through discovering their accomplishments it became clear what fighters they were. How they didn't let what they went through swallow them- they persevered to the top! They didn't just live through this, these women conquered. What a legacy for us all. What a great book.
Week 12: I agree with Candie. These readings make me jealous. I have had an awesome time over the last 2 summers down in Fredericksburg, but hate that I missed out on Junction. It seems like my kind of place. I originally thought that's where I was headed 2 years ago for my summer photography class. About a week or 2 before class, I started getting emails talking about Fredericksburg. I actually remember my art teacher in high school talking about the summer classes she attended every year. She wasn't working on a degree. She just enjoyed the studio time. I didn't realize until I started attending that she was talking about Junction. The teacher I work with now has been teaching for about 30 years. She has also spent a lot of time there just enjoying the studio.
Sometimes attending artist residencies may help you fulfill that need to work in a studio environment with other artists.Summer has always been a special time for school teachers to use to do their own work especially for studio artists.
I agree.These are excellent times of artist retreat and focus.I have been both to domestic and international residencies.You commiserate with other teachers and share information.I highly recommend them!
Week 12 Ryan Harbert's work was probably my favorite to read about. It is so applicable to to our students today. He really nailed it. I have written about this topic numerous times times throughout this semester, so I think everyone knows where I stand on this subject. Our youth are growing up in an age totally different from what anyone has experienced up to this point. They do not see the world the same way. If technology os not involved on some way, they do not seem interested, but that is only because we are being led as teachers and parents to lead them in that direction. Over the Thanksgiving break, I took my son hunting with me. Like all youth, he is being more and more drawn to ipads and compters to a point where they just get bored the minute they are not entertained. I have taken him hunting at least once every year since he was 5. This is the first year I was a little nervous about the push back I might get when I told him it was time to put the ipad away and let nature entertain him. But when we got out there, he was fine. There is so much to do and discover even somewhere as raw and baron as west Texas. When we weren't hunting, he wanted to shoot his bow, practice gun safety and accuracy, help me with chores around the ranch, build a fire, throw the football, look for rabbits and coyotes, build things out of rocks... the list goes on. The only time he was even interested in a screen was when I was checking for a text from my wife. It reminded me of my classroom. I have taken phones away from the students and I have to remind myself to be the example and not check my phone during class. Having a garden at school is an excellent way of teaching the students about life and that everything we NEED comes from God and the living world around us.
I also really enjoyed Dana Millers work. I have read this before in another class and really enjoyed revisiting it. Ryan laid out a blue print for all of us to follow, but Dana's work is an example that shows how to make it happen.Her work really spoke to me because of her desire to become a better person and use her talents to become the person she wants to be. Selfishly, I want to do more of my own work, but recently I am feeling more driven to be more involved in the community and show the students how to give back.
The week before the break, I took a day off to run some personal errands. Maybe it was an excuse to start my break early, but whatever. I got alot done. One of my errands included visiting the assisted living facility to meet with the executive director and talk about the social project I have been planning. In the midst of their busyness of trying to get their facility open, which is 2 months behind schedule, she met me with excitement. We spoke for about 45 minutes. As it turns out, her son is a professional photographer and she is a Tech grad. Due to the facility being behind schedule I mentioned maybe waiting until next fall to pilot the program. She said No Way. She was wants to meet again in December and start as early as February with their first inhabitants. A semester of would have been welcomed to work on my art, but the opportunity is there and once again our art program is being asked to get involved with the community.
Chase- Do not feel guilty about taking that day off! I have had to do that before and it took me a while to get over the guilt but it was a necessary. I was interested in your idea from the beginning and it is good to see that you were able to meet with the director to talk even though she was not able to take your services at the time. I actually had to accept "not right now" from a community outreach here that I wanted to offer art classes for. They were just too busy to get something like that going so I am waiting for 2017 which is right around the corner. I like that you want to involve the community more and being a teacher we are already so close and have so many great opportunities to immerse others in art. Nice update! Some of you have expressed that you are sad the book ended. Well I am not quite to the end but I get those same feelings just thinking about Junction not being there for art anymore. It is the spirit that lives on however and this book is able to spread even more inspiration.
WEEK 12 continued catch up: Reading these stories enabled me to see a more personal side of people I already knew. Sometimes writing (many have included poetry) allows people to express things on a deeper level and every poem I have read so far has been beautiful. I have always enjoyed writing but have never had the confidence to share. Reading into details about Shannon's work is awesome and I would love to share with my ceramic students. Having experienced certain bodily functions (and malfunctions) only a woman's body can perform is truly something fascinating as she explains and it allows for a connection like no other. Her thoughts on the “n” word are valuable and give insight that I need because I hear that word (even with the -a ending) almost on a daily basis at the school I work at. Honestly, I do see how it casually thrown around some people have even argued that changing the ending defies the true meaning. There are obviously multiple opinions on the matter but the bottom line is, it ends up becoming a matter of respect. I like that she offers alternative to that title, like “Princess _____”.
Thinking back to Liz's presentation I started to cry. Rose, the Holocaust survivor is a woman that will stay with me forever. Her raw emotion and detailed accounts of the Nazi invasion were moving. I am so glad she was able to be there and I am lucky to have been a part of that. I loved the award ceremony theme of her talk and how personable her writing is. In person she is very quiet and reserved but filled with so much life. There is so much to take from the stories, and a lot of reflection is needed.
Chase - I have been doing work with older citizens and my students. I have them come for 3 classes with the same kindergarten class and do a culminating art project with them together. It is awesome and develops more community than just having the kids sing for the elderly. I am hoping to expand and add an art exhibit for all to attend.
Chase, what an age bridge builder! My wife and I had taught painting in several nursing homes.I had also juried a nursing home exhibition with prizes and many honorable mentions.These are very gratifying experiences, ones these folks really connect with!
(week11) When I walk into the school and my classroom for the first time after a long break whether it be summer, Christmas, or spring break I can smell that ‘’school’ smell. I can’t describe the smell.. It isn’t bad, the building and my classroom just have a distinct smell. Much like our own homes have a smell. My mother’s house smells seasoned, like my grandmother’s too, from cooking. They are prolific bakers, fryers, casserole makers, and vegetable peelers, shuckers, and snappers. My classroom has a smell from the paint, markers, clay, etc… It is a home smell to me. There was a time when I seriously thought I would never leave that smell. My classroom would always be me. But something happened after cancer, I grew. I grew stronger. I was a fighter… a conqueror. I was ready to branch out and conqueror new mountains. Climbing new mountains means you leave the little hills behind. Well, I am ready to leave the little hill called a classroom behind, ready to find new passions and take my teaching ability to new levels. I cannot believe I am saying this out loud because elementary art, for me at least, is where it’s all at. But there has to be more… I know there is more….hence, why I am in the MAE program at TTU. Reading the beginning chapters of Road to Junction fueled that fire within me to grow in my craft and in my field. I sat in on the TAEA workshop in Dallas recently and listened to Future Akins talk about Junction and I felt a longing to be a part of it. Sadly, Junction as we know it will be no longer for a new Junction will start in Fredericksburg. Maybe our group will be the new Junction and we will dig deep within us finding what it is that causes us to create. I want to expand; I want it to be tough and to hurt. I want to dig deep. I want reflection. I want self-evaluation. I want to get back to discovering why I even create. I need this. It is time. I look forward to summer studio and making art. I am not sure why teaching is all absorbing leaving you little time and energy to create on your own, but it just is. I wonder what pedagogy is like outside the elementary art room. I wonder what a real art studio smells like ( it has been a long time since college). I wonder what new smells I will call home one day.
I understand that "School" smell. Recently actually I made the decision to make my classroom my studio. I have done a few artworks there, but I just finished moving all my personal painting supplies to the kiln area. The kids have noticed the oil paints drying and talk about it sometimes. It's funny to hear which kids like the smell of wet paint and which ones think it smells like "ass. SORRY MR. HERNANDEZ!" haha
It was interesting to read more about Staci power's story. I was able to learn a little about her through another lecture at the TAEA conference and was now able to gain more insight to her struggles. I was amazed on how little support there was for the hearing-impaired during her early school years. It was saddening to see that she was labeled “dumb”. I have only had the experience of working with one deaf student before and learned so much. I think that there should be more trainings and support available for teachers in this area. I enjoy Pop-Surrealism so I was initially intrigued by Marco Sanchez's essay, however, I think it was lacking something, I just can't put my finger on it at the moment. I definitely picked up on the generational differences from his writing and the previous one by Powers. Many friends have suggested the book Art and Fear and it was mentioned in this essay so I think I will have to get me a copy. Marisa Meija's writing gave me the travel bug and encouraged me to look beyond the current culture I'm immersed in and go learn something new. I have yet to leave the country and it is a short term goal of mine. I have always dreamed of just packing up and leaving and maybe it is something I will need to do eventually. Lana Caywood's writing brings me right back to home however and made me realize that sometimes the best ideas are right in front of my face.
April, I thought Staci's story was powerful as well. What insight into what it is like to not communicate, to not understand or understood. Her ability to "catch up" on time lost in her education demonstrated her ability to persevere and overcome her obstacles. What a story.
Week 12: I really enjoyed the layout of Shannon Walton's essay. The section titles being the name of women and the positive and empowering story was nice. I felt like I read that essay before just from knowing her and being able to student teach with her. She is incredible in the classroom and outside.
I've gotten to witness her talking to students about calling each other the "N" word or bitches or anything else and she handles it amazingly. I've gotten to meet some princesses of hers and I can say that her presence is greatly appreciated by students on her campus.
I loved the artwork selected for Staci Power's section of the book. "D is for Deaf, D is for Dumb, D is for Dunce" was a really nice painting, because I have very bad tinnitus (ringing of the ears that never stops) and I sometimes have trouble hearing things. I remember I had one teacher that though I was spacing out because I wasn't doing my work correctly, but I was just lost because she spoke softly. I ended up in detention to finish some work I didn't know how to complete.
Andrew, There are times when I am so tired, the kids are too talkative, too much on my to do list, etc... and I am a wee bit irritable. I am sure I have been a little impatient with a student here and there over 20 years. Your comment about the ringing in your ears and the teachers response to your lack of understanding made my heart sink a little :( Thank you for speaking this... I will remember your story and use it to grow. On days when I am stretched too far... I will stop, breathe, and see if there is an underlying problem with my student. Thank you.:)
(week 11) When I gradated College in August of ’96, I had already accepted a teaching position and was eager to begin my career of teaching art to little people. In college they really don’t teach you how to make relationships with students. There is a lot of talk like, “don’t do this” and “ don’t do that”. I am sure it is the institution’s moral requirement to warn future teachers of situations that might lead to certificate revocation. So we all enter into the classroom with fear of hugs and personal talk. We stay to the business of teaching. Now, it is all about relationships, building rapport with the students. Being the art teacher, I am the safe haven of the school. Next to the counselor and the school nurse, I am next in line for mending broken feelings and turning the frown into a smile. Art is their happy place. When the classroom is black and white, I add color to their world. Dana Miller’s story is heavy. I truly applaud high school art teachers who quietly earn their back-door counseling degree. It is a lot to carry. Group and community art is a perfect way for students to focus, not just on themselves, but on the group and on the project. This project and others like it allow students to have a purpose and to feel valued –art is definitely the soul builder. Dana brought her students to feel safe about expressing/creating by being transparent with her own childhood- which I find extremely brave. I also feel by moving on after the terra cotta tile debacle, she taught the students not to wallow in self pity or grief. They are a product of the circumstances but not the actual problem, so pick yourself up and move on from it.
(week 11) I have not experienced summer studio in Lubbock or Fredericksburg yet and while I am so eager to get back to the artist I once was, it is mixed with fear of incompetence. Dana spoke my fears exactly..," ...inevitable feelings of inadequacy surfaced, and I wasn't sure if I could measure up to the pressure of working alongside graduate student artists in a classroom setting. After all, I had not been an art student for over 25 years. This role reversal from teacher to student would be a major undertaking for me." Well, truth be told this is me. As much as I yearn for this I am scared. What if I can't make art anymore? What if I have been "elementary-ized"?? Most certainly I will feel like Matisse when he discovered art at 20 and felt inadequate and way behind in art school???? But it is fitting as she writes," the True Self wants to bloom and grow..." Indeed it does. Hopefully, all my creativity will flow smoothly next summer in studio.
Hi Debbie, I think we all feel that way when we start over.I went back for my MFA in painting when I was 50 (10 years ago)and it turned out to be the best experience ever and my work turned a new direction so as scary as it seems I think it is like riding a bike,you never forget...
Catch-up posts...
ReplyDelete(Week 12) Robert Rynearson's chapter Following His Bliss,
DeleteFollowing my bliss has currently lead me to taking a break from teaching art and to travel. I am still teaching, but not art. I teach English in Beijing. But I know that that’s not what I want to continue doing in the future. Upon reading Following Your Bliss by Robert Rynearson it just confirmed that I am where I need to be. For many years, I worked in jobs that I hated because of financial need, the economic times, and fear. I worked ten years in retail first to get through college and then because of the economic downturn. I then took a job in a print shop doing graphic design because everyone told me that I should use my degree and they saw me doing and being in an artistic job. After six months of constant worry and lack of sleep I decided to go into to teaching instead. Even though I did a decent job in my first year I still felt something was missing. I had missed out and so much travel between seven and a half years of university and economic troubles. I knew that I need to shake up the routine. I am not someone that likes staying too long in a pattern. For about 12 years I was keeping the same patterns and habits. Deciding to move across the world has lead me back to wanting to teach art again. It is also helping me to broaden my outlook on life, the world, people, and myself. I am on the road to accepting myself and my sexuality. If I wasn’t following my bliss I still would be in the same holding patterns and routines back home; and I would still be burying my true self.
Liz Reyes' Joyriders.
In eighth grade, I started doing cross country. That’s where my love of running developed. I haven’t kept up with it over the years. I would go back to it on and off over the next few years. I enjoyed reading about Liz’s Joyriders because it reminds me of few times that I hit the running high. I first heard about Liz’s Joyriders when I attended the big public school art convention in San Antonio, Texas in 2014. I attended the TTU session and got to hear about her project and from students who had attended junction and did the MAE program. I can relate to Liz experience in the 100-mile race when she met the Holy Spirit. Growing up in church you learn about the holy trinity. I have had my own encounter growing up where I had this overwhelming sense of peace settle upon me in times of need and distress when I called out to God. I love that Liz’s art is about helping others. That’s one of my motivation for becoming an art teacher. I wanted to help others fall in love with and appreciate art. I lost that feeling in the stress and hustle of being a first year teacher.
(WEEK 11 additional catch-up + start of WEEK 12 response)
DeleteWell to start, I just want to say wow! Dana Miller's colorful mosaics. When I first read that whole chapter I was using a tiny device and did really examine the photos. I would love to have a paper version of this book when available. I think it will be valuable resource when I have to defend myself to my principal every time he thinks I'm a crazy art person. Adding art to every school not only cultivates the meditative environment Dana mentions, but it engages learning as a whole. Boring, tan and drab walls are not very enticing to anyone so why would we leave them like that for schools?? Multiple studies have been conducted on colors and the feelings they evoke, so why not use that knowledge when painting the school walls. One day I might just paint my walls to see what happens.
Also, her story about Brittani resonated with me because I have many students like that. When I sit and think about all of the things some of my students go through on a daily basis it brings me to tears. The student who is homeless, the student who has no food in the pantry, it is all too much sometimes because I want to do so much but I am limited. The clothing closet I started at my campus has helped tremendously however. It has been in the works for 3 years now.
Week 12- Right away I was drawn into Laara essay because of her ability to “change and shift topics”. I bet it was hard to do that when almost finished with a project. Her story offers a unique perspective and helps me understand more of where some of my students are coming from because some have moved to Texas from Mexico in hopes of a better life. These first hand accounts show the reality of the violence. In no way am I comparing the harsh life of Juarez for the middle class to my experiences growing up in Farmers Branch, but that are some parallels. 20-30 years ago it was a great place to raise a family for the middle class but as time went by, gangs and drug violence started to take over. When I was in my early teens I recall hearing gun shots almost every night, and seeing that yellow caution tape wasn't anything surprising. It got worse as time went by and I'm lucky I was able to relocate in high school. I went back for a visit while I was in the area for the TAEA conference but just got depressed. Nothing was the same, everything was run down and businesses closed. Also, her Pray for Peace project is inspiring and I think students of all ages could participate. I am re-reading from W. Clark's essay forward on another device (I hate reading electronically it is hard for me), but right away I know I will enjoy his story. He seems to have a good sense of humor and an open mind. Learning about crafts more from another course has always taught me to respect wood turning even more.
Week 12
DeleteFinding the Sound with My Eyes by Staci Powers almost made me cry. I hate when bad things happen to children. No matter if it’s in a movie, book, or real-life. I have a sweet spot for kids. Even though I currently don’t want to have any kid of my own. I spent enough years helping with my cousins and niece and nephews. I have seen them go from babies to adults. I feel like I’ve helped-out my aunts and brother enough. Even though I am not creating art right now I want to use it to explore the confusion I feel between religion and my sexuality.
Like Marco I love folklore and would like to explore that in my own art. Even to this day I am constantly creating worlds and characters in my head. It’s my way of dealing with tough times and negative emotions. I take elements of comic books, manga, sci-fi, mythology, and folklore to create my worlds. I should take the time to illustrate or flesh out these stories on to paper.
(week 11) I found Lilia Cabrera thoughts as an art teacher interesting. I have been using a certain brand of acrylic paint for many years as an art teacher. I pour the color into a round tray with small shallow wells and it is stored with a clear cover until the next week when the students come back. Sometimes the cover isn’t all that tight and unfortunately the paint dries. One time long ago I filled the sink with water and placed the dried up paint trays in to soak. I discovered the paint would peel right out and keep the shallow well shape. They were interesting to me. I laid them to dry and started to collect as many colors as I could every time we painted. I am a saver of the interesting, the odd, the textural, the colorful in the art room. Ephemera is what they call it today, I think.. I just call it my cabinet of really cool art junk. One year my fifth graders made element books out of 5 paper lunch sacks. We folded and glued them forward, backward, halfway, and flipped into a unique little book that just happened to have 7 sections inside to represent the elements. We then went about creating the pages using anything we possibly could think of to represent and render the 7 elements of art. It definitely was a mixed media book and the students had a great time manipulating materials creatively. I offered one particular creative student my collection of dried acrylic scoops to use on her “color” page., which turned out to be one of the best pages for color. I couldn’t believe Cabrera used them in one of her paintings! I loved it!
DeleteAny updates on semester projects...
ReplyDeleteMine is done (I think)...just need to figure out where/how to post it.
DeleteI think I'm going to go with my original idea of taking pictures of the pollution at the same time everyday for a week. Then write/ journal about how this affects me on a daily basis. I may even get recordings of my friends to go along with this.
DeleteI think my semester project is gonna be a collection of stories that shaped my life up until this point. I was thinking a journal, but I can't seem to post anything I type. Journal's are too intimate, stories can be intimate too, but I feel as though they can be more entertaining, both to read and to write.
Delete(WEEK 12)
ReplyDeleteAs you all know probably already, I'm really tune in to people when they bring up the meditative qualities found in their processes. Liz Reyes with her running. James mentioning last week the meditative impact in his art making. This resonates with me.
I began honing in on this in my classroom 4 years ago to control the volume and unnecessary talking. The kids bought into it to my surprise. It caught me off guard seeing the kiddos understanding the meditative properties in art making, and "turning off their left brains to make their right brains stronger." Ha, I ensured them that it wouldn't hurt! With their voices off or at a level that wouldn't stimulate other left brains in the class room, they were surprised that their art actually would turn out much better. I was even surprised. My trick worked. But I guess it wasn't a trick after all.
Some would say that they were "just concentrating," and this could be very true. However, I've seen what happens when you tell elementary kids to concentrate. It's subjective and almost undefinable for this age. I believe they don't know how. I have found that explaining what the left brain controls (language comprehension and speaking) versus the right brain (creativity along with spatial abilities and visual comprehension), and then linking it to the process of art making, enables them to understand why it is important to limit classroom chatter. Their artwork turns out better, and my room is quieter with a delightful art making hum. What art teacher dreams are made of. Win, win.
While sense deprivation enables other senses to be elevated, I'm wondering if I'm actually doing this in a controlled environment. Like by providing "elective" sense deprivation I'm allowing/encouraging spatial and visual comprehension to be heightened?? Thinking out loud...
Do you play music for them? That also elevates the senses. I have even found music that claims it is the ultimate concentration arrangement because the underlying beat is a heartbeat. Interesting huh? I agree with your statement about "concentrate". It is possible children translate this word into meaning "get to work". I do explain how talking ( left brain ) and creating ( right brain ) compete to be number one. So if painting is our goal today, I wouldnt let talking take first place. I have discovered that it does take children a little time to wind down or shift gears from the silence of the classroom. Once they get into the mode or the meditative process begins, clean up is right around the corner. Once I give them their 2 minute warning, I hear, "aw!!! I was just really getting into it." Then I find that transitioning to clean up is difficult. They don't want to leave. I would be interested into discovering what is the right amount of art making time children grades K-5 really need to stay engaged before their attention span begins to wane.
Delete(WEEK 12)
DeleteDebbie, Yes! I do play music for them. I generally will play music that has no words, more instrumental or nature sounds. I believe that it does help them concentrate and get into their right brains. We even take a pole during this and I ask if they feel like the music is helping them produce and create better. Most to all agree :)
Jennifer,
DeleteI believe that what you refer to as"
a controlled environment" really is good.Perhaps their young mind cannot comprehend what you are doing for them now.But, this should reap long term creative benefits for them especially in this culture of such ongoing distraction and attention grabbing.I agree with Debbie's comment about getting the students into the meditative process of art making.It is almost like hypnotism, where a metaphorical "bell" is rung or something is done as a transition from the making process to waking up from this realm.I still remember my Kindergarten experience of 50 plus years.Our teacher was so effective in engendering a mu career as an artist-educator.Teachers need the encouragement of more immediate student results and the gratification which comes from art work produced.However,time reveals the impact(s)! Thanks for your post!
(WEEK 12)
ReplyDeleteI just love how this book utilizes the MAE thesis papers, Ed. I remember in Helen's class a couple years ago, she had us read some of the papers at the end of the class, I guess similar to what you have done in the past. If I could have read more of them, I would have. I even remember reading some of these in Roads to Junction during that semester. When I'm done with this book, I'd love to read more. Do you know how we can access the papers online? Helen, had explained it to us then, but I forgot. Would love to read one a day!
Meant to include this in the previous post:
DeleteWhile I'm approximately 2/3 of the way through the MAE program, it's such a bonus to be able to read these. So many walks of life produce so many different outcomes. Fascinating.
(WEEK 12)
ReplyDeleteIn response to Candie from last week, I also enjoy knowing where the artists come from. Like Bob for example, sounds like he was lost for a long time. Comforting to know that I don't have to be consumed in one art process from a young age to become an amazing artist. It comforts me since I haven't found "that one" art material that sings to me. As I mentioned before, I love bouncing around between mediums. I pick what ever is most suitable for the environment (i.e. watercolor on a hike because its light to carry, painting at home because that's where my materials are, ceramics at school because my classroom is more equip for mess control, drawing while touring a city or in a coffee shop).
Is it possible to not have one particular medium that you flourish in to be an "artist" though? Is it ill-advised to not have a line of products that are from the same material? Is breadth not as valuable as depth in the art world?
(week 12) Jennifer, I do believe it is possible to be proficient in a variety of mediums and still be an artist. Picasso comes to mind as he was a painter, sculptor, worked in metals, clay, wood..to me that shows depth as an artist. I, myself, enjoy different mediums to express my art... the biggest hurdle for me is what to create. ( I think we all feel that way sometimes ). Being an elementary teacher and teaching a variety of mediums, I find the beauty in every stroke, lines in printmaking, layering glazes in clay- materials seem to inspire me more so than subject matter. Hopefully, I can grow in this area. In my opinion, depth and breadth go hand in hand as an artist.
DeleteDebbie,
DeleteI teach foundations studies in both two and three dimensional art.My undergraduate and graduate work was narrowly defined "as painter". My media challenges weer expanded into other realms including photography and printmaking.I love your quote about beauty in every stroke.The artist sees their handwriting in the art form no matter what medium is used to express.Nature study is what I have learned from the great artists of the past:"My aim in painting is to create pulsating, luminous, and open surfaces that emanate a mystic light, in accordance with my deepest insight into the experience of life and nature"(Hans Hofmann). When we see it in our own work, we immediately recognize it in our students!
(Week 10) Katy… I too feel my classroom saves me. I am not sure if it is the space or the learning but being passionate about teaching art is what I am so ultimately, it is what saves me. As much as one would think little children would drain you- which it does- they are the ones who fill you right back up with their love, sincerity, and innocence. Public school can suck you dry leaving you with little or no creativity. It is the business of business and the new initiatives every year compounding each. and. every. year. That’s what is draining. One year in particular we as a staff had to read, ‘Teach like a Pirate”. It was a good book.. but as an art teacher I already come to life with my lessons and stories. My passion spills over to the students. In the book, there is a statement that most teachers say “just let me teach” which the school districts are trying to strip from the teachers. With district lessons planned out to the minute there is no way personal creativity can inject anywhere. Teachers are drones. I am thankful to be in the art room where freedom and creativity abounds and I can be in the business of teaching art. Yea, I still have the same initiatives as the teachers but I reshape most to fit the learning style of the art room. Otherwise, it would not be my room really, nor my lessons, nor my safe place. Thank God for the arts and the safety within.
ReplyDeleteTruthfully, I'd have to admit that I was a little disappointed when the book ended. I wanted more. This book completely sucked me in. Strangely, I felt a part of each of their lives, I was drawn in, heavy hearted, and even shed tears at the end of some of their stories. Where are they now? I did my research on each one.. finding all I could - wanting to see if they survived and if they flourished. Actually, through discovering their accomplishments it became clear what fighters they were. How they didn't let what they went through swallow them- they persevered to the top! They didn't just live through this, these women conquered. What a legacy for us all. What a great book.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWeek 12:
ReplyDeleteI agree with Candie. These readings make me jealous. I have had an awesome time over the last 2 summers down in Fredericksburg, but hate that I missed out on Junction. It seems like my kind of place. I originally thought that's where I was headed 2 years ago for my summer photography class. About a week or 2 before class, I started getting emails talking about Fredericksburg.
I actually remember my art teacher in high school talking about the summer classes she attended every year. She wasn't working on a degree. She just enjoyed the studio time. I didn't realize until I started attending that she was talking about Junction. The teacher I work with now has been teaching for about 30 years. She has also spent a lot of time there just enjoying the studio.
Sometimes attending artist residencies may help you fulfill that need to work in a studio environment with other artists.Summer has always been a special time for school teachers to use to do their own work especially for studio artists.
ReplyDeleteI agree.These are excellent times of artist retreat and focus.I have been both to domestic and international residencies.You commiserate with other teachers and share information.I highly recommend them!
DeleteWeek 12
ReplyDeleteRyan Harbert's work was probably my favorite to read about. It is so applicable to to our students today. He really nailed it. I have written about this topic numerous times times throughout this semester, so I think everyone knows where I stand on this subject. Our youth are growing up in an age totally different from what anyone has experienced up to this point. They do not see the world the same way. If technology os not involved on some way, they do not seem interested, but that is only because we are being led as teachers and parents to lead them in that direction. Over the Thanksgiving break, I took my son hunting with me. Like all youth, he is being more and more drawn to ipads and compters to a point where they just get bored the minute they are not entertained. I have taken him hunting at least once every year since he was 5. This is the first year I was a little nervous about the push back I might get when I told him it was time to put the ipad away and let nature entertain him. But when we got out there, he was fine. There is so much to do and discover even somewhere as raw and baron as west Texas. When we weren't hunting, he wanted to shoot his bow, practice gun safety and accuracy, help me with chores around the ranch, build a fire, throw the football, look for rabbits and coyotes, build things out of rocks... the list goes on. The only time he was even interested in a screen was when I was checking for a text from my wife. It reminded me of my classroom. I have taken phones away from the students and I have to remind myself to be the example and not check my phone during class. Having a garden at school is an excellent way of teaching the students about life and that everything we NEED comes from God and the living world around us.
I also really enjoyed Dana Millers work. I have read this before in another class and really enjoyed revisiting it. Ryan laid out a blue print for all of us to follow, but Dana's work is an example that shows how to make it happen.Her work really spoke to me because of her desire to become a better person and use her talents to become the person she wants to be. Selfishly, I want to do more of my own work, but recently I am feeling more driven to be more involved in the community and show the students how to give back.
ReplyDeleteThe week before the break, I took a day off to run some personal errands. Maybe it was an excuse to start my break early, but whatever. I got alot done. One of my errands included visiting the assisted living facility to meet with the executive director and talk about the social project I have been planning. In the midst of their busyness of trying to get their facility open, which is 2 months behind schedule, she met me with excitement. We spoke for about 45 minutes. As it turns out, her son is a professional photographer and she is a Tech grad. Due to the facility being behind schedule I mentioned maybe waiting until next fall to pilot the program. She said No Way. She was wants to meet again in December and start as early as February with their first inhabitants. A semester of would have been welcomed to work on my art, but the opportunity is there and once again our art program is being asked to get involved with the community.
ReplyDeleteMy last 2 posts were also week 12
ReplyDeleteChase- Do not feel guilty about taking that day off! I have had to do that before and it took me a while to get over the guilt but it was a necessary. I was interested in your idea from the beginning and it is good to see that you were able to meet with the director to talk even though she was not able to take your services at the time. I actually had to accept "not right now" from a community outreach here that I wanted to offer art classes for. They were just too busy to get something like that going so I am waiting for 2017 which is right around the corner. I like that you want to involve the community more and being a teacher we are already so close and have so many great opportunities to immerse others in art. Nice update!
ReplyDeleteSome of you have expressed that you are sad the book ended. Well I am not quite to the end but I get those same feelings just thinking about Junction not being there for art anymore. It is the spirit that lives on however and this book is able to spread even more inspiration.
WEEK 12 continued catch up:
ReplyDeleteReading these stories enabled me to see a more personal side of people I already knew. Sometimes writing (many have included poetry) allows people to express things on a deeper level and every poem I have read so far has been beautiful. I have always enjoyed writing but have never had the confidence to share. Reading into details about Shannon's work is awesome and I would love to share with my ceramic students. Having experienced certain bodily functions (and malfunctions) only a woman's body can perform is truly something fascinating as she explains and it allows for a connection like no other. Her thoughts on the “n” word are valuable and give insight that I need because I hear that word (even with the -a ending) almost on a daily basis at the school I work at. Honestly, I do see how it casually thrown around some people have even argued that changing the ending defies the true meaning. There are obviously multiple opinions on the matter but the bottom line is, it ends up becoming a matter of respect. I like that she offers alternative to that title, like “Princess _____”.
Thinking back to Liz's presentation I started to cry. Rose, the Holocaust survivor is a woman that will stay with me forever. Her raw emotion and detailed accounts of the Nazi invasion were moving. I am so glad she was able to be there and I am lucky to have been a part of that. I loved the award ceremony theme of her talk and how personable her writing is. In person she is very quiet and reserved but filled with so much life. There is so much to take from the stories, and a lot of reflection is needed.
April, Rose was unforgettable. I am still moved by it.
DeleteChase - I have been doing work with older citizens and my students. I have them come for 3 classes with the same kindergarten class and do a culminating art project with them together. It is awesome and develops more community than just having the kids sing for the elderly. I am hoping to expand and add an art exhibit for all to attend.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous idea, Chris. Please post pictures, if possible, I would love to see the process.
DeleteI will hunt them down, Debbie!
DeleteChase, what an age bridge builder! My wife and I had taught painting in several nursing homes.I had also juried a nursing home exhibition with prizes and many honorable mentions.These are very gratifying experiences, ones these folks really connect with!
DeleteAlso, I posted my comments on last weeks, oops! Should I move them here???
ReplyDelete(week11) When I walk into the school and my classroom for the first time after a long break whether it be summer, Christmas, or spring break I can smell that ‘’school’ smell. I can’t describe the smell.. It isn’t bad, the building and my classroom just have a distinct smell. Much like our own homes have a smell. My mother’s house smells seasoned, like my grandmother’s too, from cooking. They are prolific bakers, fryers, casserole makers, and vegetable peelers, shuckers, and snappers. My classroom has a smell from the paint, markers, clay, etc… It is a home smell to me. There was a time when I seriously thought I would never leave that smell. My classroom would always be me. But something happened after cancer, I grew. I grew stronger. I was a fighter… a conqueror. I was ready to branch out and conqueror new mountains. Climbing new mountains means you leave the little hills behind. Well, I am ready to leave the little hill called a classroom behind, ready to find new passions and take my teaching ability to new levels. I cannot believe I am saying this out loud because elementary art, for me at least, is where it’s all at. But there has to be more… I know there is more….hence, why I am in the MAE program at TTU. Reading the beginning chapters of Road to Junction fueled that fire within me to grow in my craft and in my field. I sat in on the TAEA workshop in Dallas recently and listened to Future Akins talk about Junction and I felt a longing to be a part of it. Sadly, Junction as we know it will be no longer for a new Junction will start in Fredericksburg. Maybe our group will be the new Junction and we will dig deep within us finding what it is that causes us to create. I want to expand; I want it to be tough and to hurt. I want to dig deep. I want reflection. I want self-evaluation. I want to get back to discovering why I even create. I need this. It is time. I look forward to summer studio and making art. I am not sure why teaching is all absorbing leaving you little time and energy to create on your own, but it just is. I wonder what pedagogy is like outside the elementary art room. I wonder what a real art studio smells like ( it has been a long time since college). I wonder what new smells I will call home one day.
ReplyDeleteI understand that "School" smell. Recently actually I made the decision to make my classroom my studio. I have done a few artworks there, but I just finished moving all my personal painting supplies to the kiln area. The kids have noticed the oil paints drying and talk about it sometimes. It's funny to hear which kids like the smell of wet paint and which ones think it smells like "ass. SORRY MR. HERNANDEZ!" haha
DeleteWEEK 12 - last catch up post
ReplyDeleteIt was interesting to read more about Staci power's story. I was able to learn a little about her through another lecture at the TAEA conference and was now able to gain more insight to her struggles. I was amazed on how little support there was for the hearing-impaired during her early school years. It was saddening to see that she was labeled “dumb”. I have only had the experience of working with one deaf student before and learned so much. I think that there should be more trainings and support available for teachers in this area. I enjoy Pop-Surrealism so I was initially intrigued by Marco Sanchez's essay, however, I think it was lacking something, I just can't put my finger on it at the moment. I definitely picked up on the generational differences from his writing and the previous one by Powers. Many friends have suggested the book Art and Fear and it was mentioned in this essay so I think I will have to get me a copy. Marisa Meija's writing gave me the travel bug and encouraged me to look beyond the current culture I'm immersed in and go learn something new. I have yet to leave the country and it is a short term goal of mine. I have always dreamed of just packing up and leaving and maybe it is something I will need to do eventually. Lana Caywood's writing brings me right back to home however and made me realize that sometimes the best ideas are right in front of my face.
April, I thought Staci's story was powerful as well. What insight into what it is like to not communicate, to not understand or understood. Her ability to "catch up" on time lost in her education demonstrated her ability to persevere and overcome her obstacles. What a story.
DeleteWeek 12: I really enjoyed the layout of Shannon Walton's essay. The section titles being the name of women and the positive and empowering story was nice. I felt like I read that essay before just from knowing her and being able to student teach with her. She is incredible in the classroom and outside.
ReplyDeleteI've gotten to witness her talking to students about calling each other the "N" word or bitches or anything else and she handles it amazingly. I've gotten to meet some princesses of hers and I can say that her presence is greatly appreciated by students on her campus.
I loved the artwork selected for Staci Power's section of the book. "D is for Deaf, D is for Dumb, D is for Dunce" was a really nice painting, because I have very bad tinnitus (ringing of the ears that never stops) and I sometimes have trouble hearing things. I remember I had one teacher that though I was spacing out because I wasn't doing my work correctly, but I was just lost because she spoke softly. I ended up in detention to finish some work I didn't know how to complete.
Andrew, There are times when I am so tired, the kids are too talkative, too much on my to do list, etc... and I am a wee bit irritable. I am sure I have been a little impatient with a student here and there over 20 years. Your comment about the ringing in your ears and the teachers response to your lack of understanding made my heart sink a little :(
DeleteThank you for speaking this... I will remember your story and use it to grow. On days when I am stretched too far... I will stop, breathe, and see if there is an underlying problem with my student. Thank you.:)
(week 11) When I gradated College in August of ’96, I had already accepted a teaching position and was eager to begin my career of teaching art to little people. In college they really don’t teach you how to make relationships with students. There is a lot of talk like, “don’t do this” and “ don’t do that”. I am sure it is the institution’s moral requirement to warn future teachers of situations that might lead to certificate revocation. So we all enter into the classroom with fear of hugs and personal talk. We stay to the business of teaching. Now, it is all about relationships, building rapport with the students. Being the art teacher, I am the safe haven of the school. Next to the counselor and the school nurse, I am next in line for mending broken feelings and turning the frown into a smile. Art is their happy place. When the classroom is black and white, I add color to their world. Dana Miller’s story is heavy. I truly applaud high school art teachers who quietly earn their back-door counseling degree. It is a lot to carry. Group and community art is a perfect way for students to focus, not just on themselves, but on the group and on the project. This project and others like it allow students to have a purpose and to feel valued –art is definitely the soul builder. Dana brought her students to feel safe about expressing/creating by being transparent with her own childhood- which I find extremely brave. I also feel by moving on after the terra cotta tile debacle, she taught the students not to wallow in self pity or grief. They are a product of the circumstances but not the actual problem, so pick yourself up and move on from it.
ReplyDelete(week 11) I have not experienced summer studio in Lubbock or Fredericksburg yet and while I am so eager to get back to the artist I once was, it is mixed with fear of incompetence. Dana spoke my fears exactly..," ...inevitable feelings of inadequacy surfaced, and I wasn't sure if I could measure up to the pressure of working alongside graduate student artists in a classroom setting. After all, I had not been an art student for over 25 years. This role reversal from teacher to student would be a major undertaking for me." Well, truth be told this is me. As much as I yearn for this I am scared. What if I can't make art anymore? What if I have been "elementary-ized"?? Most certainly I will feel like Matisse when he discovered art at 20 and felt inadequate and way behind in art school????
ReplyDeleteBut it is fitting as she writes," the True Self wants to bloom and grow..." Indeed it does. Hopefully, all my creativity will flow smoothly next summer in studio.
Debbie, I am probably older than you are and I did it!! yep, a little worried, but it is there, just make art!!!
DeleteHi Debbie, I think we all feel that way when we start over.I went back for my MFA in painting when I was 50 (10 years ago)and it turned out to be the best experience ever and my work turned a new direction so as scary as it seems I think it is like riding a bike,you never forget...
DeletePost marker.
ReplyDelete