We are creating color wheels in my art class right now and the end project makes the color wheel look like an eye.
We are reviewing how to mix secondary colors and I'm teaching my kids how to mix different skin tones using primaries and secondary colors. When asked by students why I do not just buy "that one skin color" (they are talking about that pinkish peach color) other teacher have I realized that I had a problem bigger than my classroom on my hands.
I did a demo for the color wheel as a class, but decided that I needed to spend time with students one on one in order to help them realize their skin is a perfect as that peach other teachers had.
I broke down the recipe of the "perfect" skin tone to them during my demo with one student by saying,
"We are going to use:
Burnt Sienna, because it's pretty,
Brilliant yellow, because you are smart.
Deep red, because you are human and you have lots of thoughts in your mind.
Titanium White, because you are strong.
And phthalo blue, because... well because you need something to offset the red."
I dropped the ball on the blue, but I thought of this on the spot and decided that I am going to use this, or some variation, when I teach tertiary colors and wanted to share with you all.
Cool...
ReplyDelete