Saturday, November 19, 2016

Week 12: Nov 17-23

Week 12: Nov 17-23: Roads to Junction: Making Art, Teaching Art: Read: The second three essays in Chapter 2 AND Chapter 3.


Keep in mind that next week is Thanksgiving Break. Please feel free to catch-up with posts during that week if you need to. 

I will be posting a side bar for projects to post after Thanksgiving. All three of these books have elicited very personal comments by all of us. I am hoping that we will all honor the confidence of this class--what's said here, stays here. And remember, that this is a private blog.

About last week's posts. James posted about his grandmother's quilts as "oceans of fabric with thousands of tiny stitches: and those stitches as schools of fish. Beautiful written and remembered. We all have witnesses this in our writing throughout the semester. Debbie Susan posted about installations and shows--really beautiful work and ethics of care, citizenship and teaching. 

Remember, Roads to Junction is a compilation of MAE essays we have witnessed throughout the past 10-15 years. 

Project updates. James posted about beginning to develop a site of what's important to him, like a visual journal and Candie posted about documenting her trash project. These projects or papers or works are all beginning ways to document projects. 

Remember, feel free to post during Thanksgiving week break if you can catch a breath to post any catch-up posts. 

34 comments:

  1. The second half of Chapter 2 Sacred recounts Robert Rynearson's chapter Following His Bliss, Shannon Walton's Essentially Woman, and Liz Reyes' Joyriders. These are all different ways of creating sacred moments, art and relationships. What did you distill from these three essays? Any connections or differences? Any of this resonate with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Robert R. Rynearson Jr. writing was interesting to me. Quite a few of the experiences resonated within my mind, but I will focus on one of the topics. Artwork has always been a private practice for me. Even in studio classes, I only interacted enough to be “participating”. I think this is because of my insecurities, introverted nature, and the meditative impact of my art making process. This has carried over into my personal life, and really, the only time I have worked collaboratively in art has been as an educator. I also have never really had an artistic mentor. Of course, there are artists who's work has instructed, inspired and motivated me on various levels, but I have never taken opportunities to collaborate with other artist. As I have changed and matured, I have come to believe that this type of interaction would really benefit me personally and artistically, and I think I have knowledge and experience that could be valuable to other artists too. So far, my graduate coursework has made it possible for me to partake in such collaborations. In Fredericksburg last summer, I had a very positive time and truly learned a great deal from the instructors and other students. It was very rewarding to be able to collaborate with artist, sharing my art and creative ideas.

      Delete
    2. I've always loved to run. Playing chase and tag games are some of my best group memories from childhood. After high school, I stopped running. I was busy with school, playing rock 'n' roll, and other things... At twenty four, I nearly died and had to have a couple of surgeries. It took about five years for my body to feel fit again. I slowly added exercise back into my life, but it was quite a task. When I was thirty two, I decided that I was going to enlist into the U.S. Army, so I started running and riding a bike to work in order to get fit again. I have been running steadily ever since. I have never wanted to run a marathon like Liz Reyes though. I have run differing distances and came to the decision that 3 to 5 miles is my bliss. I run strictly for fun, exercise and, like liz, a sort of meditation. If I'm mentally overwhelmed or stifled, a run can really invigorate my mental focus and overall demeanor. My running is an avenue of solace and something that I generally do alone and just for myself, much like my artwork. What I'm coming to discern from these readings, is that for years I have been balancing my work, family responsibilities and personal endeavors. I have not been engrossed or impassioned in helping those outside of my extended family and friends much. The readings that seem to have the greatest 'hmmm' moments for me are those that describe people who are working to help humanity. I have always seen my educational work as somewhat of a service to the greater good, but I know that I could do much more. I will need to really digest this thought, but I believe that it will lead to me being a better person.

      Delete
    3. ( week 9 ) One of the beauties of writing is to express your inner self, letting the words free you from the pain, strife, passion, and emotion within you. But equally beautiful is the way the words speak to the reader filling any emotional holes known or unknown. Like what a slow stream does for a dry creek bed, reading, music, art, and performances can scan your soul and find even the tiniest crack within you to fill. Strangely and unbelievably each story within the book, " you will get through this" has touched me or moved me on some level and has spoken to the cracks and holes of my life. I wish I could write how beautiful my life has been... that it hasn't been marked with sadness, abandon, fear, disease, disappointment, abuse, deep struggles. I feel shame from most of it for reasons our conservative society places on me but as I grow older I am beginning to own these experiences and find the beauty within each of them. I can honestly say I am stronger because of it. It hasn't killed me yet. Part of what makes me a passionate teacher are my experiences: good or bad. Part of what makes me beautiful is my struggle. I could reveal more truths in this blog. But rather I will applaud the women in this book for their bravery and their veracity. Their honesty spoke to me. It took me a while to read this book because I couldn't just continue reading to the next story. I had to process the words letting each narrative marinate for a while. I also didn't want to respond to each one individually... I did have a response ready but each one was disjointed separately. Soon I realized that each story affected a different part of me each time. Whether is was me, my family, an experience, my children, my friends..... whatever - it fit. It resonated. And it connected me. Connected me to a world that sometimes feels too large and monstrous. That I am not alone. And that in its self is comforting. Validating. And strengthening.

      Delete
    4. ( week 9) Candie, I was quite moved by your post. It is amazing you went on to college and became a professional and not a victim of your environment. I applaud you. Thankfully you found art as your rescue in times when you became acutely aware that your home life was not normal. Oddly, I believe it has shaped you into the wonderful person you are today with abilities to help others in similar situations. Teaching can do that. Many times, during my cancer recovery I was asked to share my testimony or mentor other women who battled the same type of breast cancer as I… but I couldn’t do it. The depths of that battle is too fresh still. But I am getting there. I wasn’t surprised when the audience for Blackman targeted her for performing/writing about something she had no personal experience of. Makes me wonder can artists be taken seriously if they create without personal experiences or knowledge? I mean, I know it happens and exists but I still question its validity. I would imagine this book spoke to you in ways we would not understand. I can tell you I want to understand but truthfully I cant- because I haven’t lived it. So it is possible to create art/writing/performance based on my knowledge of and empathy, yes but I personally feel they have more meaning if created from a space of experience. One day I will be able to return and strengthen others to get through this disease, one day.

      Delete
    5. Reading about Robert following his bliss was even more touching since I got to meet him this summer. He is, indeed, a kind and giving person. It is comforting to hear how he started. You see people that are so skilled and successful in their art that you assume they have always been that great. You don't always get to hear about their beginnings, doubts, struggles, and searching as an artist. It is comforting because it reminds me that I am still on a journey (a probably always will be) to discover what kind of artist I am and how far I can push my boundaries. It is comforting because that is okay. It seems like Robert was very very close to his father. I am happy that he was able to share that with him and that he figured out what made him happy. It was nice to see some of his work, too.

      Delete
    6. (week 10) Nigel, books have done their fair share of saving in my life as well. Books are beautiful inside and out. As an artist, I create books. There is something about the mystery that lies within. The words, pictures, art all create magic that is contained within two walls. I make books out of paper, wood, plastic, clay, everything I can find. I hunger to know more about manipulating media to create more books that express my life, my mood, my love, my being. The books represent an art form inside and out and relate to many similes in life. I cannot wait to get to summer studio to work on my craft with the newfound inspirations from this semester. A new library is coming to service the community in which I live. I was requested to serve on the board to assist with the collection of art books and to work with the artist who was chosen to create works for public display. It has been a wonderful experience.

      Delete
    7. (week 10) Angela, what is my story? Wow, question is what are my stories? Quite frankly, I honestly have tried to suppress my life- it doesn’t exactly fit within the demographics of where I teach and live. This year, one of our principal’s initiatives is to bond our staff by creating a short power point about who we are and present at the weekly staff meeting. Ah, no problem except be transparent as you can be. “We are all family and if we as a staff understood the background of each other, we would come together as a unit”. I am terrified. Several have come to share alcohol abuse, a small amount of physical/sexual abuse of someone in their family. It has been unsettling because it Is a large group and you have about 12-15 minutes to put all that out there and then we move on to the agenda. What?? I’d rather not. This is how I identify with Bell and her outside world and her inside world. I am not a cutter, nor depressed, nor angry inside-just conflicted with the hand that life has dealt me. And sometimes I don’t want the whole world to know everything. Right now that world consists of mostly perfect people with intact marriages, pinterest traditions, and vacations to Disney. Lol, but they are the ones who, with all there is to complain about, complain about the interruptions with their conference period. Not the audience I want to share with, sorry.

      Delete
    8. All of these writers are my friends and I am honored to know them. They serve as inspiration and allow me to share their energy with my students. I was lucky enough to see all of them this past weekend at the TAEA conference. Liz's ability to run like that amazes me and I will admit that I did not make the connection to the art world right away. I was able to attend her MAE dissertation 2 summers ago and her presentation opened up a door to optimism. Her connection to music is also what helped make the connection.
      Debbie- I agree with your comments on the sharing/over-sharing during your staff meetings. I do see the benefits but when you take a step back- why do your co-workers need to know your past? Is it even relevant? I agree, I too feel conflicted with the hand that life has dealt me but I am grateful at the same time. I feel more resilient than most. Most of you have shared stories of resiliency as well (thank you for those) because I know it is not easy. I always tell myself that art and time can heal all.

      Delete
    9. Week 11 Catch up

      Foreword/Preface/Introduction

      I love the writing style in the book. It makes it very easy for me to read and get interested in the stories. The reading has reminded me why I wanted to do the master’s program from TTU. I am looking forward to my summers of art making even though they will not be all held in Junction. Like the others said. I enjoyed reading about your preparations for the journey and weeks in junction. It reminds me of the preparations it takes me to get ready to move to a new country.

      Chapter 1 Rethinking

      The thing that I have noticed in many of these essays is the underlying idea of healing. Healing their spirit, the land, or the students. Also how to deal with disappointment as an artist. Sometimes your vision may not come true based on the circumstances beyond your control.

      Chapter 2 Sacred

      Continues the theme of healing. I sometimes forget that art can be a healing practice. When I was reading, I started thinking about helping others heal. It’s opened my mind to the idea of one day getting certified as an art therapist. Reading the last few essays also reminds me that our paths can always take a different turn than we expect. It helped me reaffirm my decision to move to South Korea next year and keep teaching ESL and working on my MAE. I think that reading about the different paths that it took Will to get where he is has helped me with the current winding path I am on. I was going to return to America next year but I opened myself up to the idea of continuing my travels until I must return to complete my summer sessions. I think currently that after finishing the MAE program I want to keep teaching abroad but focus on teaching art.



      Delete
  2. Chapter Three Social Landscapes

    Finding the Sound with My Eyes by Staci Powers
    Enter the Time Machine! by Marco Sánchez
    Congested Beauty by Melissa Mejia

    In these three essays we enter into three entirely different kinds of social and cultural landscapes. What are you noticing about the choices these writers made as artists and writers in terms of topic, making art, how they wrote, etc.? Once again, any of these three resonate with you? How?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci's writing was very powerful. In a way, it reminds me of how I will never really know my students and all of the challenges that they are facing in life. When I first started my teaching career, I was very idealistic, which is a glorifying way to say that I wanted to 'fix' everybody. I believed that If I could just work with my struggling students and give them support and advice (big mistake generally) that I could be a beacon in their dark travels. Well, in my experiences, I learned that such a mindset not only didn't really serve my students, but it was a fast-track to educator burn out. I still believe that I can be a beacon, but In a more realistic, less selfish manner. I try to balance my desire to help my students with my need to just be a positive influence and solid structure, one their creativity can anchor on to or cast away from.
      This past summer, I had the opportunity to work alongside two hearing impaired graduate students. Before I had even really got to know them, it was obvious from their artwork and conversations that their struggles had left deep scars and led to powerful wisdom. After becoming friends, I learned something of the specific challenges that they have faced due to their condition and their encounters within education. It was a humbling and inspiring experience for me as both an educator and an individual. Staci's poetry is haunting in its visual and emotional clarity. Coupled with her paintings, the impact is very impressive. I have several lesson that combine poetic writing and visual imagery. It is usually an effective way to help students draw out their inner selves and become personally invested in their art.

      Delete
    2. James- I can relate to your desire to help everyone when you first started teaching. It did, indeed, lead to burn out for me. I took on too much- emotionally and in work loads. I nearly quit teaching after year eight. I ended up sticking it out though and here I am, year twelve- I am so much more happy. I am happy because I chose to give up so many of the duties and committees that were imposed upon me when I first started teaching. There were things that I felt I could not say no to because I was new and I wanted to prove myself. I think one major thing that I have realized after teaching this long is that sometimes, by assuming some of my students needed saving, I was projecting on to them. I shouldn't make assumptions that they need me or impose my life lessons on them. I, more often than not, end up learning so much more from them about life. We can be that steady rock for them to balance on from time to time, but ultimately they learn from watching how we handle ourselves and by listening to us when they are ready to. Some of the students I never knew needed me or heard a word I said were the ones that came back later to inform me about the impact I had on them. The kids that I thought I was helping, in some instances, were kids that didn't seem to want it or care. Who knows, in the end though..unless they come back and tell us. I guess the best we can do is be kind, lead be example, and be passionate and excited about what we are doing- they will always pick up on our enthusiasm. They know when you care about what you're doing.

      Delete
    3. I was SO touched by Staci's story. Not only do I love her art style (very folk-like), but her story is so inspirational. I love her One and All poem. I became certified with sign language in college, but of course I will never know what it is like to be deaf. I do have some deaf friends and they mention the struggles of being educated. It must have been so difficult to feel that isolated and cheated. The best parts are that she is working through these issues in her art (that is so hard to confront sometimes) and she hasn't given up. There are very real ups and downs evident in her art and poetry, but there always seems to be hope in her outlook. That is so great to see- the reality and harshness of life, but the glimmer of hope that remains. I really want to know whether she ultimately found a principal who hired her. She has so much to offer students! A teacher with that drive, motivation, life experience, and passion- those other principals who haven't given her a chance are fools. Dr. Check- did she ever become a teacher???

      Delete
    4. I really liked to see the work of Marco A Sanchez. I've always liked how watercolor and ink looks. I wish I could do more illustrator type work. This makes me want to sit down and try it out more. Some of what he discussed in regards to Mexican culture and art is familiar to me because I see and hear so much about it being on the border here in El Paso. I love the older tales that he mentioned. The ones that encourage kids to behave or else the witches/demons/monster will get them. Even the older Irish tales fascinate me. They have the common ends that result in some moral lesson being learned. It's interesting to see how many different styles of art and artists there are that come out of this program.

      Delete
  3. Urban Sprawl and its Impact of Farming by Lana Caywood
    Dire Complacency by Shawn Knuckles
    Meeting of Cultures by Germain Quintanilla

    Another very diverse three essays and art about other social landscapes. Can you see how the writers write in either their own lives or how the topic envelops their imaginations? What stands out to you in these three essays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found many literal connections in Shawn Knuckles writing. I lived in Austin during my early twenties, grew up around Gatesville, frequented Belton Lake and visited Mary Hardin-Baylor as a school boy. I too have a strong desire to refocus my life and live a more sustainable existence. Artistically, I have loved Surrealism since high school, and most of my early paints were within that aesthetic and philosophical vein. I have never had my work stolen, but I did have an unpleasant college experience. The fine arts school that I choose wasn't focused on what I really wanted to learn and experience as an art student. Looking back, I should have transferred, but at the time financial and maturity issues ruled my daily life. I did well in college, but by graduation, I was disenchanted as an artist. It has been a slow journey, but I am finally very happy with my artwork, both the style and subject matter, although that is often abstract. Like Shawn, I am very concerned with today's electronic and consumer culture. Since I've generally broken from realistic imagery and concepts, I'm hoping that my blog will allow me to explore and address the topics that I feel are relevant and important to my life and the broader world. I want to create art that considers critical contemporary issues, helping me to make personal resolutions and generate solutions for me and my life.

      Delete
  4. I would like to share a u tube which I found to be astounding...art/technology or both? Astounding ancient Peruvian technology called Puquios , served to funnel air to underground canals which helped to supply water to that culture.My initial reaction was that I was viewing an Andy Goldsworthy work...https://www.facebook.com/techinsider/videos/501479876717040/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (WEEK 11)

    I wanted to comment on Candie and Andrew's comment from last week:

    Andrew and Candie, I feel you. It must be hard to hear over and over how amazing and magical Junction was. I luckily was able to spend two summers there but I still feel like I missed out on so much. If it puts you at ease, now more than ever while reading Roads to Junction, I am reminded of arts and crafts communities of the past. While these established communities only come around once in a great while, I can relax knowing that another will pop up somewhere and I'll be ready to at least visit.

    I became aware of arts and crafts communities while reading "Makers: A History of American Studio Craft" last semester in Future's class. It's a must-read for any artist as it provides so much American art history of craft (i.e. Ceramics, wood-working, weaving, jewelry). The Roycrofters (established in the late 1800s) was one of these communities that reminded me so much of Junction. Aside from making art, both places had so much more going on but the below exerpt is from Roycrofters, however, it could easily represent Junction instead:

    "..free lecture program that brought in notable speakers such as Henry Ford, Clarence Darrow, and sculptor Gutzon Borglum. Employees could participate in classes, baseball games, group dinners, annual picnics, and a marching band. Guests at the inn could partake of vigorous outdoor activities, including pulling weeds and chopping wood." (Koplos & Metcalf, 2010, p. 40)

    I really enjoyed learning about these arts, crafts and utopian communities. The way it aligned with Junction in its philosophy spoke to me because I had been able to experience it first hand. Here are a few others that are worth taking a peek into that follow a similar ideology:

    Penland
    Black Mountain (closed)
    Craftsmans Farms
    Pond Farm (closed)
    Peters Valley Craft Center
    Alfred
    Haystack Mountain School of Craft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Jennifer! I will look into those. Very cool and happy you're joining us! :)

      Delete
  8. (WEEK 11)

    Sarah Hartman had stated that she uses vipassana meditation when she creates. This resonated with me. I dove into google to see what this type of meditation was.

    I didn't know it but all along I have been meditating during my art making. It was when I earned my yoga certification that I realized meditation isn't always sitting still and focusing on breathing, or in the case of vipassana where body scanning and pain management is more prevelant. Meditation could be used when doing something which I have found easier to achieve when new to the practice or when stillness has proven difficult. I believe this is called mindfulness meditation but I will have to research this more...

    ReplyDelete
  9. (WEEK 11) catch up:

    Foreward/Preface/Intro:
    I agree with many of you who appreciate the “I” language of Roads to Junction. It perfectly suits what the MAE program represents. I was able to go to the TAEA conference this past weekend and listen to the Roads talk. It was interesting and served as another preface to the reading as I am behind.

    I have been to Junction two times and nothing else compares. I was finally able to decide that since Junction is no longer, we must take that spirit and energy and spread it elsewhere. For me this meant surrounding myself with people who still make art and teach in my community. We are able to feed off of each others' energy. It took years for this to come into place however. I also listened to a talk on making art and teaching. Kiebesadel mentions that we must be engaged in the creative process ourselves. This is so true. Jen- thank you for that book suggestion, Creating with Reverence. Sounds like it could be inspiring and that is what I need right now. I also agree that the book Makers is excellent!

    The day-to-day grind of teaching is really getting me down. I am trying to find the light and figure out a way to balance making art when I am too tired to do so. Lately I have just been able to do sketch book drawings. My paint brushes are calling my name but my desk work has me tied down! After some more reading I will post more catch up...

    ReplyDelete
  10. (WEEK 11) continued catch up and comments...

    I think that the essays from Chapter 2 are the most helpful for me to read right now. Making art brings peace and sometimes when I can't make art, reading about it is the next best thing. Hartman's comments on meditation make so much sense. There is a book about how runner's get into the “zone” and many of us have already discussed this creative zone. There is a science behind the “Flow state” as it is called and I find it very interesting.

    Here a tidbit about it: Flow State, a concept initially identified and developed my Mihalyi Csziksentmihalyi1, is known as one of life’s optimal experiences. Simply, flow is complete immersion in the task at hand. Some great thinkers claim that this experience is happiness defined. Commonly known in popular culture as “the zone,” flow is believed to be the ideal performance state. Countless incredible performances have been credited to flow, driving achievers in every domain to pursue its prized and elusive graces.

    It is something I plan to share with my students after the break. This break has allowed me to reflect on so many things. The conference also gave me so many ideas and meeting with other colleagues was very important. I was finally able to decide on my project for this class which will also be an ongoing personal project. I am finalizing a manifesto for it first because I believe the manifesto will be the guiding principle that will keep this project going for me. My plan is to involve my students as well as the community. The project will focus on growth- literally and figuratively. I will be teaming up with the horticulture teacher and use the greenhouse on campus. I will have student assist in the creative process. There are many details but I will save these for the blog post about the project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. (WEEK 11)


    I also agree with Andrew and James about how it's difficult to bring up controversial subjects in art. Part of me feels like it's their right to know and part of me doesn't want to get involved with concerned parents. So unfortunately I usually stay away. As far as religion, I have discussed the Last Supper, henna and mendhi design in the Indian and Pakistani culture, and the all time favorite weaving lesson, Ojos de Dios. Each lesson touches on religion and there was a time where I didn't want to breach these subjects. However, objectively speaking, art and religion have been ave are still very closely tied. To deny this is denying fact, right? When I begin Abby lesson that incorporates any level of religion, I make sure that the kiddos understand that it's ok that other people may believe in something that we don't believe in our practice. And they get it. "You practice soccer, while she practice piano. That's ok, right?" Easy-peasy. Teaching and reinforcing empathy is also an Austin ISD district-wide SEL (social emotional learning) initiative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. (WEEK 11)

      I also agree with Andrew and James about how it's difficult to bring up controversial subjects in art. Part of me feels like it's their right to know and part of me doesn't want to get involved with concerned parents. So unfortunately I usually stay away. As far as religion, I have discussed the Last Supper, henna and mendhi design in the Indian and Pakistani culture, and the all time favorite weaving lesson, Ojos de Dios. Each lesson touches on religion and there was a time where I didn't want to breach these subjects. However, objectively speaking, art and religion have been, and are still, very closely tied. I believe that to deny this is denying fact. When I begin any lesson that incorporates any level of religion, I make sure that the kiddos understand that it's ok that other people may believe in something that we don't believe in our practice. And they get it. "You practice soccer, while she practice piano. That's ok, right?" Easy-peasy. Teaching and reinforcing empathy is also an Austin ISD district-wide SEL (social emotional learning) initiative.

      Delete
  13. (WEEK 11)

    Candie, I agree with you that the gardens were an impressive feat to accomplish! The amount of work it took to give life to an uninhabited place was extraordinary.

    I related the gardens to James Perry's forgotten and neglected telephone building. Giving something a new chance at life is truly an art form as it involves love, care, time and commitment. I believe that these are the components to make anything great!

    ReplyDelete