Hello all,
The following is a series of paintings as part of an exhibition at ASU this summer 2016.It was entitled Blended Expressions.I see nature as a vortex of sorts with swirling patterns.
Concentric Convolutions
Small format acrylic on canvas paintings
The center, I had been
taught as a student,"is too be avoided at all costs in terms of composition”. Yet,
many cultures have embraced this circular center from basketry, the oculus of
the Pantheon in Rome, to the infamous stained glass Rose window found on the
south portal of the Gothic church. Radial balance demands that the eye to
continuously survey all elements within this self-contained compositional
universe. These concentric convolutions, as I refer to them, involve
impasto acrylic applied to square small format canvases and panels. The square
ironically, frames these images. We can see concentric convolutions in many
forms in nature .These include, beyond our planet, the imagery revealed to us
from the Hubble telescope unveils a world of giant abstract forms –nebulae,
light years away. On planet earth we can see similar concentric convolutions in
the human eye, whirlpools, pine cones, cabbage, sunflowers, the human finger
print, the whirl hair pattern atop the human head and even how water swirls
before it travels down a sink drain. Electron microscopes reveal microscopic Adenovirus particles which have
circular patterns. It is this type of continuous variation I desire to explore
in this series of works with seemingly endless variations.

No comments:
Post a Comment