Sep 29-Oct 5
Weintraub, Linda To life! Eco art in pursuit of a sustainable planet: Read: Fernando Garcia-Dory; Bright Ugochukwu Eke; Nicole Fournier; Amy Franceschiini; Gelitin; Andy Goldworthy; Andy Gracle; Tue Greenfort; Terike Haapoja (pp. 153-204)
Welcome to Week Five. Just a reminder, you do not need to apologize for late posts. I totally understand and expect delays. Just post late in a current week. Keep us posted on what you do though. Some students in classes are not practicing teachers and your posts remind us of all of the many responsibilities you perform.
A few comments about some Week Four posts. Then off to this week. Some posted about performance and its possibilities in the classroom. I listened to artist Nick Cave last fall at the TASA conference at TTU. He does lots of performative work. Look him up. Many posted about your initial reactions to Schneemann. Might possibly be normative in our culture where that might be a common knee-jerk reaction. I'm wondering if and how it might be connected to consumerism? Some posted are inspired by Chu Yun. Check out the Cathedral of Junk in Austin,TX. You can see it right now in Yard Art and Humanmade Places: Extraordinary Expressions of Home (by Jill Nokes with Pat Jasper, 2007, University of Texas-Austin Press). (I used this book a few years ago when the theme of a class was neighborhoods and activisms.)
Some of our artists come out of particular gender and historic/herstoric narratives--that run counter to what and how we have been taught--about art, about teaching, about learning. What is appropriate and what is acceptable, etc. Similar to Chase's student from France who has been taught differently about genders and bodies. As we critique these artists, keep in mind that they do keep making art. Something I wish I did more of. Many posted how "schooling" not learning is socially constructed to be a very narrow corridor of acceptable practices in US schools. (Lots to react to for a video documentary using one's phone.)
Though we seem to have lots of pornographies in our culture, erotic art forms are more difficult to find. When I say erotic, I mean more toward what audio Lorde referred to as the body having erotic potential and power--not at all sexual. Might want to check out that essay of hers--it's short and online. Andrew, what about a project with your custodians? Or washing? And for everybody else, there are lots of things to do--but not much time. So, consider something basic and simpler--documenting via your phone you thinking about yourself or your project. A series of self-portraits--you will see this in the next book. April could document conversations with horticulture teacher. I'm taking my undergrad class next Thursday to the Ranching Heritage Museum to to some plain air painting--either trading card size or postcard size. Just to sit and think or paint. I love the metallic and glitter watercolors. Deborah posted about grandmother flushing only poop--there's some poem about--if it's yellow, let it mellow; brown...get's flushed. Candies posted about restorative possibilities--you could create a 5 minute Ted Talk on your phone about your ideas--and that's your project. Justin wants an immersive experience--try something miniature and document yourself. Nigel and the brick example with smog. James posted about gloom and pessimism--great motivators. Dialog with yourself and develop a short video on your phone. Notice I am pushing perform--and document. Let's keep it simpler. Simpler.
If you didn't know, you can go to books.google.com and you can search for the book and see it. Not every book is there, but there are digital copies of many books. You may want to check other books we have. You can look and read, but you can't save them or highlight them--but you get instant access--not to all books--but a heck of a lot. Also, TTU library has many digital versions of books and you can download many books.
In a few weeks we finish this quick eco trip (where we are looking at the different methods artists use) and venture on to a political graphic identity narratives from women using testimony and witnessing as a strategy/method to make his/herstories known--a much different approach to research than what we are reading.
How about this for our project ideas? Keep in mind that you will create your own blog page where you will house your project. It's very easy to create and design. You may want to begin to play around with it. Or you can use an existing website you may have. We will visit each site and comment on them. I do not want to be the sole keeper of ideas. I am not grading your ideas. I will make comments and hopefully learn from you. I hope you can grasp that pedagogical shift from overlord to co-teacher, co-collaborator. You already are doing it. You are teaching me. I am just hoping that you take some personal risks and do something that really resonates with you. Don't follow us. Lead us. If you do something really personal, you can make it really private so that even I don't see it--TTU...From here anything is possible. lol
Keep in mind how Weintraub writes about these artists. Use her as a model. She, like you, writes about the several methods the artists are using. You might use autobiography, video, performance, sustainability, and industrial ecology as your methods to creating your research. That's what we need to develop and demonstrate to each other. For example, if you create a performance--and it can be one minute--document it with your phone and upload it to youtube for free or another space if you need privacy and write about the experience--telling us how you planned, what you did, etc. Small steps.
Also keep in mind when thinking about possible lessons or projects, for example, that traditional mindsets foretell what's good for what grade level. I could say that environmental issues are better for high school populations. Not true. All of these ideas are for all populations and all people in my opinion. I don't think we have ever been taught to consider any of these issues for class or or own lives. We are taught to stick to still lifes, pinch pots, etc. There is an artist in New Orleans, Dr. Bob, who makes art out of beer caps. His studio is like Andy Warhol's was--a factory. Great work--and so different. How do we change our own mindsets on what is possible and appropriate and what is not? That could make for a great personal journey.
In Week Four, some of you posted about sanitation workers. Think of this, I am my garbage. What might a week's worth of my garbage say about me? Or a month? A project? Taking a ride with sanitation--a project possibility? Many of us know nothing about this stuff and have to reacquaint ourselves with real people doing real things. Dumpster diving. Defending our art classes that are not taken seriously. Collaborations?
And now Week Five. I am enjoying the global perspectives in the book, based on social and land considerations. I hope you are noticing the multiple methods artists use to examine topics. Keep in mind that interview, autobiographical writing, and biography are also ways to create research and document. Weintraub is creating critical writing about these artists that is historical and biographical as well. So, keep in mind that we are always working in multiples.
Note about thinking about projects one more time. Rather than make something, which you may do, how about documenting how you are thinking about something--or planning. You could use your phone to video yourself thinking and/or planning. And post that process as a project. What I'm saying is that documenting yourself as a performative journal, so to speak, would be a great project. Perform...record with phone; upload to youtube. Think about that. You are still creating and documenting that with phone/video. These could be performative lessons. You describe or perform it and viewers take what they want. Andrew's washing is a good example. Try it. Document it. Post it. I think we can post privately on Youtube. Think about that than something more traditions, but it's up to you. You can do anything for this class.
1. Fernado Garcia-Day
ReplyDeletemethods: bio/generative/social practice/installation/public/conservation/preservation/social and human ecology/sustainability
Pastoralism. Those connected to agriculture plummeted in Spain. I see the same in West Texas. Shepherds vs. tourists. Shepherd's School. Collaborates with others. He photo documents. "In support of rural life." What resonates with you? What connections can you see to teaching? Schools? Communities? What issues do you have locally?
2. Bright Ogochukwu Eke
methods: performance/social practice/public/social and urban ecology/industrial ecology
Eke turns a lament into art. Acid rain. He noticed his own skin irritations. Who am i? Lower case i--very powerful. Who is the Other? I collect cold sink water in a water can as I wait for hot water--rather than waste it down the pipe. Because I use biodegradable dish detergent, I pour my dish water in my backyard and water things. I stared thinking about all of the water I waste. It's like the styrofoam plates. Your reactions to Eke's multi-layered endeavors?
3. Nicole Fournier
methods: performance/bio/generative/social practice/public/social and urban and industrial ecologies
Live Dining Project. Foraging. Polycultures. Kiwi Box Projects. Yourself in relation to her work?
Last week post (catch up): I wanted to comment on other's project ideas because I enjoy talking to adults about art for once, instead of just my students/the youth. It is nice to share and bounce ideas off of other artists and art educators here. Candie- thanks for that share, I have never heard of Jason deCaires Taylor- very interesting work. I wonder which setting/location you are thinking about using? I like the trash collection idea. Justin- your installation idea is intriguing and I like the idea of including scent. I was recently visiting a gallery and the artist chose to burn some incense through one of his sculptures and it was truly a nice touch. To engage all of the senses makes for a more powerful experience. The idea of scent evoking memories has always been phenomenal to me as well. James- I was having similar ideas to yours. I think I may want to include students as a part of the project. I am really digging the collaborative vibes from many of the artists we are reading about and they are influencing my ideas as well. I had a crazy idea of collaborating with the fashion design class at my high school and creating clothes and accessories out of trash. “Trashion Show”….well it's an idea in the works. I've seen similar things before so I would want to make it more specific to the community I'm in some how.
DeleteI can appreciate the philosophy and rational of Fournier's work. My mother kept a garden during my childhood. She still has a small one. I grew up helping to plant, tend and harvest the garden. I even remember collecting manure for fertilizer. I really enjoyed the crops that had to be dug or pulled from the earth. The soil was dark and could be smelt. Digging for potatoes was very much a sensual experience for me and, as a child, it was truly magical. When I would go wandering in nature, I would look for plants like berries, wild onions and garlic, clover pods and honeysuckle. Other than raising my children, those are some of the best memories of my life. As an adult, I regret to admit that for the most part I did not pass those experiences to my children. My daughter and I have raised a few vegetable together, but nothing like we could have. We still love to visit my mother and dine on fruit and vegetables from her garden. Their is a satisfaction for me in eating food that has come from someone's personal connection to and caring of the earth. I find Fournier's notion (one that I have seen and considered before) that those who choose what is planted, harvested and sold for society to eat controls life itself, very relevant. “You are what you eat” is a powerful adage, which is certainly underestimated in today's American society. Community gardens, farmer's markets (true), and roadside produce are all fascinating propositions to me. They charm some with their wholesome aesthetic and scare others with thoughts of degeneration and lack of control. If I buy produce from a store, I know (theory) that it has been grown and processed under 'safety' guidelines. Buying local doesn't usually carry a stamp of approval and often involves open presentation with little to no climate control. That's a lot of things and extra time for some people to consider. Today, it is common to get produce from a supermarket. Super... is an aesthetic term that few people would give to gathering potatoes from a open market, much less digging them from the earth.
DeleteA side note: A house in my neighborhood has a fruit tree in the front yard. I was enchanted to see that with all the rain it flowered and produced pears this year. Pears are one of my favorite fruits and it has been very difficult to keep from 'harvesting' a few on my late night dog walks, but I was a good neighbor. One night two weeks ago, many of the pears that had fallen onto the ground below the tree were scattered across the sidewalk and road. Darn kids! Most of them were rotting or crushed, but one lay glimmering in the middle of the street, roughened, yet whole! I took it home and watched as its splotched skin began to show signs of ripeness. Last night, I knew that it was ready. Ironically, I thought to myself “Is it safe to eat this?” When I was a kid, I would have picked it up and eaten it right then and there. Now, I wondered if the soil and water that was used to grow this pear were safe. With the recklessness of my youth (after a good washing), I succumbed. It was Delicious, with a sweet, crisp flesh unlike any pear I can ever remember eating. It is now even harder to be a good neighbor.
In many ways the idea of Pastoralism resonated with me. The first 7 years of my life was spent growing up in a small village in Belize. My village developed around an orphanage started by a couple from California. It was very much a community. Growing up I called the wife Mother even though I had my own mother. It was what every one called her. Adults to children. She took in these children from families that couldn’t afford to have another child and took care of them as her own. They were offered free education up to high school, clothing purchased and donated, and then given assistance if they wanted to study further, 3 meals a day, and in return they helped with chores, washing the dishes after meals, and laundry. Everyone was a big family. It was also great to be able to step out of my home and grab a mango, oranges, papaya, sugar cane, coconut, avocado, kraabu, mammee apple, and many others right off of the tree. Head down to the river and catch a few fish, swim, and sneak supplies out of the kitchen to cook or catch of the day. Head down to the over grown forest and build forts and tunnels in the heavy over growth.
DeleteHaving moved to the USA I lost much of that community feel. Instead of playing outside hours I slowly became urbanized. Apart of me still wants to return to that small town feel. Even though I love the conveniences of a big city and would be very much be happy to live long-term in the city. We have southern hospitality here in Texas but many people rarely truly get to know their neighbors other than to give a friendly wave or nod. I know that’s why many people are drawn to religion. They seek a sense of community and belonging. Yes, churches have their issues and problems (because they are made up of people, and people are flawed individuals) but the good ones have a great sense of community. I was raised Pentecostal and when someone was sick people helped out with food, visiting homes, and watching children. Same as when someone had a child. Our Pastors wife would organize food delivery for the family.
In teaching/schools I see communities form all the time. Your community was the people on the team or in the activity you participated in. Those people where the ones you shared your ups and downs with. Even in working in retail my community was our group of 6 supervisors. I saw those people more than I saw my own family members. We had laughs, hung out together, pissed each other off, and cried together when we lost one of our co-workers. Even though I’m away here in Beijing I still have a community of friends back in America. They are the people I spend friends-giving with, go to each others family gatherings, and go on holiday with.
Growing up in Texas, Garcia-Dory's story is very relate-able to the lives of many here. When the author was talking about the millions of tourists that come through that area every year with the expectations of seeing a live action painting of the Spanish mountainside, I couldn't help but think about country music. I enjoy older country music, but country music today (Bro-country as my friends call it) seems to always consist of this romantic ideal that farming communities are full of hot supermodels and kick ass pasture parties every night. I have a several family members who are cotton farmers in West Texas and I can't remember ever seeing this. My wife has 2 uncles who have never been married, mainly because they are too busy farming and trying to maintain their livelihood. I think we can all be guilty of it, which is fine if you are watching a movie or reading a book. There is a lack of interest when the rancher is seen now wearing a baseball cap instead of a cowboy hat, or tending to his crop or herd in a pick up instead of on a horse. It's not romantic anymore.
DeleteOn a bigger scale, you watch the US go from a producer economy to a consumer economy and many other nations follow suit. What happens when we are all consumers? It seems that from this reading, Spain is heading in a similar direction.
Fernando Garcia-Day combined sociology and art in such a powerful way I still can't get over how much he did. I think it was important to focus on the technology aspect because it is inevitable that these new gadgets can help preserve and maintain the land in a more efficient manner. I love the idea of the student shepards teaching the shepards the new ways. Locally, I have seen land in Lubbock rapidly develop. I have seen cotton fields turn into schools or shopping centers. I moved to Lubbock 13 years ago from Dallas and thought I was in the middle of no where...but now Lubbock is expanding it almost feels “big” and the traffic is getting worse. Maybe that's just my opinion. The World Gathering of Nomadic Peoples sounds like a scene from a movie. I wish I could have been there.
DeleteNigel- I agree, we seem to have lost a true sense of community. I remember when I was younger we would have block parties. Nobody goes outside to play anymore. Nobody knows their neighbors anymore. I cannot speak for everyone however. I think that the rise of technology in our every day lives has maybe effected our relationships with those around us. Not only friends and families, but neighbors, teachers, community leaders, police, etc. There is an app, NextDoor that I have been apart of for a couple of years now in hopes to connect with neighbors more. Ironic that it takes an app (technology) for that to happen. Sometimes I think I have a love/hate for all of the technology in our lives. Chase- I do think there has been a lost of "romanticism" in that way of life. Funny that a Catalonian Pyrenese councilman wanted to contract actors to perform to offer tourists more bang for their buck. ha!
April- in regards to the works from deCaires I wish I could do something like him being near the ocean. The sea holds a place in my heart because I grew up by the Gulf of Mexico in Corpus Christi, Texas. As a matter of fact- the cleanup project I am doing with the kids now stemmed from visiting the Texas State Aquarium in Corpus Christi. I saw, down one of the halls leading to the stingray exhibit, some artwork on the wall done by an artist that focused on her environmental concerns. She had collected trash (mainly plastic) that washed up on the beach and arranged it in a plexi-glas display by color. It was so beautiful that I didn't realize what it was made out of until I read the label. It also included information about the amount of time these plastics take to break down and addressed what this constant pollution is doing to the animals and the water. It moved me and made me want to be able to spread a similar message in some way. I sat on that idea for years before initiating this project. Since I live in the desert now (El Paso, Texas), I'd like to shift that concept to this landscape.
DeleteI said an intern, but I meant student teacher. April- I teach in El Paso, Texas. In my school district we teach 9-10 weeks then get a 2 week break. I like it, even though our summer break is shorter.
Nigel- I visited Belize about two years ago and fell in love with the place. It was so lovely, relaxed, friendly. and interesting. I think about it often and would like to go back there again soon. I remember feeding the monkeys in the trees, swimming with the stingrays and sharks, and eating the amazing food. I remember when I was underwater and saw just how clear the water was. I could see the sharks swimming towards me from what seemed like miles away. I was so excited and thrilled. One thing that stuck with me was how friendly everyone was. I met a guy on a pier that was casting a net. He said he does this every single day, as he waits for his mother to get out of work at the hotel. He would catch their supper, she would get off work, and they would cook it and enjoy the evening. I think we have lost something by alienating ourselves from this kind of community. Things have shifted. My cousins, aunt, and uncle all moved into the hill country woods just to get off the grid and get back to the land. They raise their own food, do most things from scratch, and are raising their children like this. My cousin does hard labor tending to the land and it makes me wonder how much longer his body can handle it. I just think it's amazing that he didn't like the way things were going and really took action to change his environment. I don't think I could do something so extreme, but it's admirable.
DeleteGood stuff in the Eke article. The first that thing that stuck out to me was his idea of involving the community into his work. He said it is about the connection with the people, culture, environment and how they affect each other. It got me thinking about my own work or community work, particularly going beyond just reaching out. What does that look like. Might be interesting to explore this with my students as we get into some of our social projects. The other part was the i language. I did not know this about the capitalization of I and when it came about. I thought about the correlation between the immense popularity of all the "i" Apple products and the growing narcissism in our world. Its all about me, i. We have once again lower cased the i, but we are more enamored with ourselves than ever and seem to care less about whats next, only right now.
DeleteGarcia-Dory’s work intrigues me. I grew up spending my summers in Pecos, Texas. My mother’s parents are originally from Abilene but after my grandfather received permission to farm a landowner’s fields, they began their married life out in Pecos. My mother’s memory of growing up on this “pastoral landscape” is one of pure misery and embarrassment as a teenager which is interesting because she has spent most of her older life lamenting for the simplicity and purity of that way of living. She recalls the daily living to be harsh, isolating, but yet simple and beautiful. Being a farmer’s daughter had her working the fields picking cotton and cantaloupe- to this day she will not eat cantaloupe. She learned how to ring a chicken’s neck and pluck down for pillows. My memory isn’t too far off from hers except I played in the fields and irrigation ditches rather than worked them. West Texas landscape is unrelenting yet soul building. My memory just isn’t a pictorial memory; it would not be complete without the SMELL of west Texas. Like Nigel mentioned about his childhood, I too had fresh off the farm Pecos cantaloupe, onions, tomatoes, and watermelon. Just smelling the ripe cantaloupe every July, takes me back to their garage where they were in stacked in crates, the same for yellow onions and watermelon. I would be undone if I didn’t mention the smell of oil and dirt, particularity the way it smelled when we were fortunate enough to get an afternoon rain shower. It is a smell I associate with my childhood, a way of living and of a landscape. I wonder if Pastoral landscape art could include the smells of that time. Could I create a performance piece recreating the dirt, dust, dry heat, and smell of west texas? I am laughing at myself right now… I, who firmly am the last to “get” and appreciate performance art..? What?? I am finally envisioning a performance! LOL.
DeleteChase- I was also reflecting more about my own community involvement after reading about Eke's work. As a teacher, we already are very involved with the community but I started to examine how I could connect with the community more. I do a lot of outreach with some partners on my campus, but I know there are ways to use art to make a greater impact. Eke uses nature as a common language which makes so much sense. It connects every single one of us, no matter our race, economic status, gender, etc. Water is a universal medium and it brings me back to a science project I did in the 5th grade. I tested the ability of various water filters. I think I started off very eco-conscious as a child but the modern world engulfed me for a few decades and now I am yearning for cleaner and simpler. We are dealing with the DIY generation as Franceschini mentions and I feel like we can use this to our benefit. The “kit” idea also has me thinking about just buying a yurt kit and a chunk of land to live off of.
Delete1. Fernando Garcia-Dory: It is amazing the amount of work, research, and time that he invested into this project. It obviously means a lot to him. It's strange to me thinking that people are longing to get back and see the tranquility of what was done in the past, but as tourists- tourists of the past. I agree with April- integrating new technology is required to help preserve at least some elements of the older ways. It seems like people romanticize the past. I was talking about this the other day- how everyone talks about how things were better back in the day, while in reality, times always have ups and downs, corruption and beauty. There are difficulties that come with the manual labor that pastoralism requires. There are also difficulties that come along with a life that involves a complete urban life-style. I wish we could tie the two together in a way that has the best of both worlds. Frank Lloyd Wright comes to mind. Check out some of these cool designs, too: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=asian+designed+architecture+with+nature&FORM=HDRSC2
Delete2. Bright Ugochukwu Eke: This is right up my alley with what I'm doing with my students. We are gathering tons of plastic bags, beer bottles, and plastic bottles from the desert. Last weekend I was shocked at how much trash we collected in just one hour. It is scary how much of what we use is plastic. The unlimited bottles we saw littering the land was heartbreaking when you think that they were used once, maybe even for less than a minute, then tossed aside. There has to be better expectations that we have rather than settling for this wasteful mentality. I think we, as teachers, need to direct and help our students think about this. I know my students are beginning to see trash in a different way now that we have begun this project. After reading a lot of what I have this semester, I'd like to really integrate more of what I've learned from this class into my high school lessons. I thought the lowercase I was a simple yet deep way of thinking about things. I was especially touched by the line, "Suppressing the dominant self can avert many environmental calamities and social inequalities." This simple statement has proven to be one of the most difficult things for people to do- esp when it deals with their comfort. There is a certain degree of indifference, laziness, and selfishness in us, I think. Convenience reigns. Talking about these things brings light to them, though- so I think this is a good thing to discuss here and with our students.
Delete3. Nicole Fournier is interesting. I would love to have one of these live dining nights here. I wish I knew enough about the local plants here to do that without poisoning myself! :) This got me to thinking about how out of touch with our natural surroundings we really are. I would say 80% of my students have never been camping. They are interested in it, but have never had the chance to experience nature like that. It is a digital age for them. I hate going out to eat at a restaurant, ready to talk to my eating companion, only to discover there are literally sometimes 20 televisions on the walls. It drives me crazy. Little conversation is made because everyone is eating, while looking away at the t.v.
DeleteForaging would be so amazing to know how to do. It does sound like less effort than planting, controlling, and maintaining. It is hard for us to repress our desires to control outcomes though. I enjoyed your story, James, about the neighbor's fruits. I have begun ordering food from Skarsgard Farms. It is a farm that produces local, organic food. I love getting the farmer's monthly newsletters. He writes beautifully about his life as a farmer and what it takes to make everything happen. I can order online and they ship it to me. https://skarsgardfarms.deliverybizpro.com/home.php
Fournier's idea about monoculture vs. polyculture and growing vs. production makes a lot of sense. When people try to control every element of nature to have it do what they want, there are always unexpected consequences. Biodiversity seems to have worked for some time now, yet we feel the need to step in and make adjustments that deplete entire populations of animals and plants. Pesticides comes to mind. It grosses me out. We come back to the concept of supply and demand and the measures corporations go to in order to keep up with our purchasing habits. Again- can there not be a solution to meet in the middle?
Chase's thoughts about the strong emphasis on individuality is very interesting. Especially in America, it seems that the needs of the one can often outweigh the needs of the many. I know that in today's educational institutions individuals have much more influence and power than when I was a kid. I did not have even a small percentage of the individual support or accommodations that today’s students have access to. I know that in some way this has been a great improvement, but I also believe that there may be some peculiar negative correlations that could be associated with this insistence on personal entitlement. I have personally witness this phenomenon negatively impact the success groups, who as a collective seemed to have fewer safeguards. I suppose it's hard to argue against such tendencies when you are the 'land of the free'. As an introvert it is sometimes difficult for me to be part of something bigger and more important than myself and my individual needs, but many of my best experiences are when I've truly felt part of a team and worked for a common goal. It seems that eco-art could certainly create these types of opportunities.
DeleteI am really intrigued by Bright Ugochukwu Eke artwork Shields. I have a fascination with the use of plastic and styrofoam. I also looked at his Acid Rain installation. I like the simplicity of the artwork and the meaning behind it. I wish I could actually see and experience it. I think I would feel a since of uncomplicatedness in my world of complicatedness. I identify with how he declares “I see water as a water medium with a water language.” I think this is very profound. I get a feeling that Eke was a extremely insightful person when it comes to the happenings in Nigeria and around him. I need to take time to embrace and experience my surrounding more.
Delete@James Brown, Oct 1
DeleteThat was beautiful! I too have great memories like yours. My paternal grandparents lived on a farm in Louisiana. I have many memories of sitting on the screened in porch shelling peas as well as helping my grandmother weed and deadhead in her flower garden.
Nicole Fournier's Live Dining project was a pleasure to read. She is a bit radical for me but it is her radical nature that gets the needed attention. Her introduction of non edible weeds in the kiwi garden to encourage that natural balance cracks me up. I'm intrigued with her thoughts on how foraging takes away, or minimizes government control on what we grow. As was said in the article, one must know a lot about plants to be successful at foraging least they pick a lovely oleander rather than a dandelion
DeleteNicole Fournier's Live Dining project was a pleasure to read. She is a bit radical for me but it is her radical nature that gets the needed attention. Her introduction of non edible weeds in the kiwi garden to encourage that natural balance cracks me up. I'm intrigued with her thoughts on how foraging takes away, or minimizes government control on what we grow. As was said in the article, one must know a lot about plants to be successful at foraging least they pick a lovely oleander rather than a dandelion
DeletePost marker.
Delete4. Amy Franceschini
ReplyDeletemethods: bio/generative/social practice/installation/design/
conservation/industrial ecology/sustainability
DYI. Domestic energies. Local and renewable. Lunchbox Laboratories. Algae.
5. Gelitin
methods: sculpture/performance/bio/generative/installation/public/
deep and human ecologies
A fundamental tenet of deep ecology --re-imagining self as indistinguishable. Klunk Garden and Hase Rabbit. Sacrificial guts; rotting corpse; to degrade. Villagers were involved. 20 years. Animals fed by the decay. Death and deterioration are a part of life. How did this impact you?
6. Andy Goldsworthy
methods: sculpture/photo/public
Anthropomorphic-Soul of a tree; Ecocentric-snowball. Studio=outside; medium=nature; tools=nature. IS it me or can anyone else see the revolutionary model Goldsworthy demonstrates for us. Photography key. It's making me fall in awe and love with the earth. You? I said this before but, I often will take a class to a park to create one of three things: an urban video park piece; a temporary art piece photoed; or plein air watercolor painting. Mixed results but we were out of the classroom. I love the idea of temporary. It seems everything in life and on earth is. Yet we focus on archival and forever ideas. Your takes?
This post is meant for week 4: I LOVED the Beehive Design Collective. I would love for them to come here and talk to my students and the community. I really liked that he work was intentionally crammed and packed full of detail, requiring the viewer to really look at it to determine what is happening. I also like how they are partnered with a group that is attempting to do cleaner printing practices. It is great to know that they did extensive research prior to doing their art pieces. This, to me, is leading by example and taking action. With their imagery, as well as their production model, they have an environmental art group. I really like this concept.
DeleteWe are having finals this week, I have an intern I'm training, the Fall Festival is tomorrow and we have a booth to set up to raise money, and I am still working on the desert cleanup project every weekend, which entails my picking up water donations from the hospital, getting more bags from txdot, packing the gloves and safety vests, preparing the coolers with ice, and getting the sunscreen and bug spray ready. I can't wait for finals to be over so that I can catch up on sleep! :) I will be going back in to work during intercession (we are year-round, so we get two weeks off) with the students to wash and sort the 70+ bags of trash we have piled up. It's like a treasure hunt.
Delete(week 4 additional comment) as well: Candie- I have a student teacher under me which is like an intern. Where do you teach? The idea of year-round school is interesting. How often are the 2 week intercessions? I am always thinking about how school schedules effect learning. Just curious, I look forward to your reply. About The Beehive Design Collective, they are so awesome! I am interested in their learning materials. After reading Mel Chin, I found some interconnecting ideas. I actually participated in the Fundred Dollar Bill Project. I contacted them and was sent two big boxes of the bills. It was a really fun project will a great cause.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
Delete4. Over the last few years I have thought about ways to live in an eco-friendlier way. Also having lived in Texas where it is sunny 99% of the year has made me think about ways to live on alternative energy. I was really drawn to solar power because of this fact. Then I started thinking about wind turbines and wind power. Which then lead me to thinking about alternative ways to build a home. I fell in love with the idea of making a house out of shipping containers. Franceschini method of drawing energy really resonated with me. It also got the nerd inside of me excited. I felt like I was stepping into a Sci-fi movie. Where this eco-friendly race is explaining how they harness energy from sunlight and algae. In a lot of ways, I would love to see alternative energy sources such as this take off. But as Franceschini mention it very tricky because of how much land and water you would need to dedicate to such a project. You would then have to consider genetic modification to make this project more viable. It would then become a slippery slope of what else we could we do. It’s a Pandora box. We are already doing good with genetic modification yet how many other unethical things could this technology lead to. We still don’t know the far reaching effects of this technology. This has led me to consider a project where students use alternative materials such a soda bottle, gears, hangers, branches, and other materials to create lighting instillations.
Delete6. I think that temporary scares us. I feel that humans have a need to be remembered. From the founding of society humans have always tried to build things that endured. Kings built statues and monuments to themselves. They conquered other nations. They pushed their ideas and ideology onto others. I feel that’s the basis of our need to archive things. Because if we are not remembered then did we really live. If you look to today’s society people are constantly uploading selfies and posting about their days. We have coined the term FOMO Fear of Missing Out. If people don’t know what’s going on in our lives, then maybe they or we will miss out on something. Archiving is away for people to know that we have created or been a part of something.
DeleteI enjoyed learning about all three artist in this section. For me, the section happened to be organized according to my appreciation in the works aesthetic and conceptual basis. The algae work of Franceschini, seemed to be using the concept of art to promote ecological research and preservation. My point in stating such an obvious deduction is that I really have to struggle to see the work as art. This of course says just as much about my concept of what art is as the validity of the artwork. What I liked about Goldworthy's work was that he was making direct connections to the psychological and physiological nature of art. He seems to be balancing the visual and conceptual nature of his work rather effectively. I was moved, visually by the images before considering what they may be trying to generate in me on a conceptual level. The transitory nature of his work is also fascinating to me. I would really struggle with committing to a body of work that disintegrates when completed, but I know that I could overcome that bias. I like working with nature and could definitely see myself using rock, earth and wood to create visual happenings within a rural or urban landscape.
DeleteAndy Goldsworthy is one of my favorite eco-artists. I appreciate the impermanence of his work and how it requited him to really be in nature and learn how to adjust his methods to what nature would allow. I love that his work took place outdoors, for the most part, rather than him bringing everything inside. Part of the work being the fact that it naturally deteriorates is something that I think is beautiful. It reminds me a lot of Buddhism in that they both seem to address the fact that change happens. It happens and there is nothing that any of us can do about that. It's comforting in a way.
DeleteFranceschini and Meuser's collaboration was the most exciting for me to read about because it brought my back to the science lab. Science, along with art, has always been a favorite study of mine. I think as artists we are scientists. Harnessing energy from sources already available is something we need to really examine as a society. I often wonder why there isn't more funding for this. We cannot rely on coal forever. Here in west Texas wind energy is very prevalent but from what I gather people are still working on ways to store the energy in a more effective manner. I have also read about algae becoming a food source and manufactures are trying to market it as more desirable product. I think that's what Franceschini was doing when she assembled the “kits” and the punk rock style zine-manual. Genius. I like the idea of the DYI because it appeals to more populations and could invite more people to join the cause. I think it would be a great idea for at least every science teacher to have one. Students are not really exposed to “contemporary science” and what is actually happening in labs present day. It just seems like a great educational opportunity and could spark the imaginations of our future decision makers.
DeleteAndy Goldsworthy’s work really resonates with me for a lot of reasons. First of all, I love the idea that the studio, medium, tools, and creative process are all part of nature and it’s natural processes. Sometimes innovating means simplifying. It seems odd that his work is the most simple and yet it’s classified as an innovative way to create art. He’s just gathering materials that are already there in nature and reorganizing them. From a religious/spiritual perspective this is meaningful to me because I believe that God created the universe from already existing matter, and on a smaller scale, that’s what Goldsworthy seems to be doing with his art.
DeleteAt the same time, he says that “my art is unmistakably the work of a person. I wouldn’t want it otherwise.” Sometimes I think we forget to acknowledge that humans are part of nature and the ecosystem as well. His work really invokes a feeling of intimacy with the earth and our co-existence with it.
Not sure if you know but James and I are both elementary art teachers for the same school district. We have known each other for several years. Most (I believe) of the elementary schools have an enclosed courtyard. Other than overgrown basic shrubbery and trees, there isn’t much to our courtyards, especially at my school. They are an opportunist place for an ecological project for sure. About three years ago, I wrote and won a grant to transform the courtyard into an academic courtyard. My mind envisioned mosaics, painted stones, and outdoor sculptures with cross-curricular ties to science and literature. Unfortunately, later that year, I became very sick and the courtyard was pushed aside. Today it still sits. I have been starring out the door onto the courtyard since our Eco Life! study. What if I (or James, too.. no pressure ha!) worked to develop an eco-challenge for these school courtyards? Maybe the students can decide what problem they would like to address and what genre in which to convey it in? I know it might sound a little kitschy but my world revolves around humans that are 10 and under- the future monster consumers. My student population is almost 1000 students… how impactful if 5 year olds can learn to make positive changes within their world-even if it only affects their little community.
DeleteDebbie- I think you have so much potential with that courtyard. I also have a courtyard across from my classroom that is unfortunately locked up. We used to have drawing sessions out there but after the Newtown Elementary shooting (literally the day after) our principal padlocked the door to the courtyard. Not really sure why he thought that would keep our building safer, but okay…. I am going to ask for permission for it to be opened up again. I wanted to create a rock garden to start with and perhaps collaborate with the horticulture class and do some planting.
DeleteCandi- Thanks for that info on an earlier post! Your share on the plastic project had me thinking about a lesson I've done with my sculpture class. We take a few weeks to collect different plastics from various sources. This year I am planning to take the class around the neighborhood to collect. After collection, they assemble their findings into a interesting sculpture. We distort the plastic with heat guns, and of course there are more details and specifications to the lesson, and I now feel the need to include some of these artists. I am going to look up the artist you mentioned as well!
Zack, I also really enjoy Goldsworthy's work. I have 3 books of his in my classroom. The names of each are great: A Collaboration with Nature, Wood and Stone. By looking at my art, you could probably guess my favorite is Wood. Not only does he turn the outdoors into his studio, which in theory anyone could do, but he is also a master of illusion. So much of his art is dependent on the photography and viewing the art from just the right position. Some of my favorite work he does is with thin branches that he ties together and suspends. One of his more famous pieces is these branches in arrangement on top of the lake. The visible branches are only half of the art. The piece is only complete when viewed at just the right spot where the reflection symmetrically mirrors the branches above water.
DeleteYou can view this piece at his website too:
http://visualmelt.com/Andy-Goldsworthy
Post marker.
Delete7. Andy Gracie
ReplyDeletemethods: performance/bio/generative/photo/installation/design/ecosystem
Collaborates with biology and engineering. His machines demo to us what we still don't know. How comfortable are you in not knowing?
8. Tue Greenfort
methods: sculpture/installation/social and human ecology/sustainability
Two degrees. Water bottle. From bombast to restraint. Your take on the simplicity of the design of installation?
9. Terike Haapojo
methods: video/bio/digital/installation/deep ecology
Death and decay on her own body (bacteria and parasites). Video 8 X 9" canvas. She documents that we are not autonomous. Her community series of five animals? What is Haapojo reminding us/you?
7. Andy Gracie’s piece got me thinking about the words “nature”/”natural”/”organic” and what they really mean. If you think about it, everything is natural, including dinosaur chicken nuggets, robots, and pharmaceuticals. They didn’t come from outer-space. They’re all made of “organic” materials found right here on planet earth. They’ve just been broken down and compartmentalized into their basic elements and reassembled to take another form or function. So at what point do they become non-organic or man-made? I think that’s a good question for us and our students to think about, and to ask ourselves, “what is my responsibility in the process of creating or consuming new innovative technologies whether it’s electrical, chemical, artistic etc?”
ReplyDeleteIn the Greenfort writing: “... there is no meaning to our existence. We are not here with a special mission, which would give our existence a reason.” I believe this statement is a direct indictment concerning the current state of our planet. I know many people who do not take environmental, and to some degree social and geo-political issues, very seriously. I have often heard hopeful exclamation stating that it's all (problems and blessings) part of a grand design or prophetic plan. At best, this declaration is padded with a dangling, 'but we should all try our best' style affirmation. I do not wish to offend personal belief system and am not really referring to the spiritual nature of such statements. To me, this thinking is akin to passing by a piece of litter and not picking it up; something I am certainly guilty of. The simple belief that 'someone else will ultimately clean up this mess' is a devastating blow to actualization. I think that most of the eco-artists are in trying to bring this realization into humanity's collective consciousness. In my busy life, it is difficult to find the time and mental attention needed to care about issues beyond the daily survival of my family. It is even harder to make time and concentrate precious energies toward a goal that does not have a direct positive impact on my life. I believe eco-art is a good tool for replacing self-serving ethos with more holistic, long term oriented thinking and practices. The strong life/nature connections that such work attempts to impart to viewers can be a powerful experience. I think that if artists can continue working on such noble missions and make their aesthetic more accessible to a wider and more... popular... commercial... (that was hard to type) audience, significant change is possible.
DeleteEnding with the Haapojo reading was like WOW. The idea of “gradually disappearing” and energy transfer after death was inspiring. Odd side note, but I used to have a huge fear and anxiety about death as a child. It was triggered by my first funeral (great-grandmother's) and it would keep me up at night. I think it took almost a decade to get over it, I know that sounds crazy, but realizing that death was just the end of the physical and nothing else helped. Haapojo reinforces those ideas, which are calming in a way. Also, the last 3 artists all touch on the unknown and how humans feel about that. They all prove that so much is unknown that do we even know ourselves as a species? The bacteria portraits were interesting.
DeleteGreenfort's 2 degree piece makes me wonder what changes could really be made if we did come together more for a common cause. James- you mention the “C” word, commercialize, and I agree it may be what is needed. It just translate to funding and where to find the money to back these causes. Greediness prevents a lot of advances for the environment. I feel that we do need more big corporations backing to help widely popularize common goals to improve our environments. Artists, musicians, and hell, maybe if the Kardashians jump on board we can get America to listen.
Terike Haapojo - this one really strikes me as science made into art. The part about a person sitting on a bench and whistling to feed the tree - COOL! This explains why I feel the need to talk to plants!
ReplyDeletePost marker.
ReplyDelete