Monday, October 31, 2016

Strange Fruit-My final Project informed by this poem/song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcCm_ySBslk
My project is an art and anthropology project.When I was in NYC at an art and Humanities conference, a couple of weeks ago,I visited the Holocaust museum and I read a story about a man named Leo Frank.
"Leo Max Frank was an American factory superintendent who was convicted in 1913 of the murder of a 13-year-old employee, Mary Phagan, in Atlanta, Georgia. Wikipedia
Born: April 17, 1884, Cuero, TX
Died: August 17, 1915, Marietta, GA
Buried: Mount Carmel Cemetery
Spouse: Lucille Selig (m. 1910–1915)
Residence: Atlanta, GA
Education: Cornell University, Pratt Institute"

He was innocent and this was first and last time there was a  lynching of a white Jewish

man.It was horrific but what may have been worse as that there was 350 lynchings of African Americans in the same place that year and only reported in small type at the back of the newspaper.My art is informed by the song"Strange fruit"which is sung first by Billie Holiday and then by Nina Simone,they call the men hanging from the poplar trees "Strange Fruit"I will post the song informed by the poem above.I typically choose my projects based on that feeling which the poet, Robert frost said gives him "that lump in his throat"and this project embraces that attitude .

I am making small collages informed by this research,below are the beginnings...
Strange Fruit 1,2,3,4,5




This one is called White blindness

1 comment:

  1. These are quite beautiful, Susan. Nice work.. my favorite is the first slide :)
    My daughter visited the Holocaust museum on her 8th grade trip to DC/NYC and she said it was the most moving of the whole trip. I hope I can take a tour while in NYC for the NAEA conference

    ReplyDelete