Introductions
This is where we will make our first posts. It is not necessary to post four times in this first posting week, but feel free to respond to other person's posts.
In Week One, we are all about introductions and an intro to research. Introductions are about who we are and where we come from. Keep in mind, the diversity of folks in this class. Some may be in our MAE (Master in Art Education) program. Others may be in other programs. Some of you may know each other, and others may be brand new to Visual Studies, the MAE Program or online graduate courses.
1. How about each of us introducing ourselves in this first week blog post. Tell us a few things about yourself--where you're originally from, where you went to school, where and what you teach, if you don't teach, what you currently do, if you make art, have a family, where you are in the MAE, or in other programs, and anything else you'd like to share.
2. Go to the back of the Wientraub book to Addendum (p. 321). There is a survey there. Take a look at that and start to think about it. We will be responding to it in Week Two. But, you may want to start thinking about where you are in terms of answers to it.
It will be under Week Two where you will find the reading assignments for next week. Our reading assignments will be identical to the syllabus. We are following it. If you fall behind, always post late posts in the current week. Just remind us. It is the Week Two ratings that I added 30 pages to even out the semester. But, it's doable.
This is the reading assignment for Week Two: Weintraub, Linda To life! Eco art in pursuit of a sustainable planet: Complete the Personal Survey on pp. 321-322. Read: Preface; Art Genres; Art Strategies; Eco Issues; Eco Approaches; Introduction; Eco Art Is; Eco Art Is Not (pp. xliii to 18) AND Weintraub, Linda To life! Eco art in pursuit of a sustainable
planet: Read: Introduction; Eco Art Themes; Eco Art Aesthetics; Eco Art
Materials (pp. 19-52)
Also, you might want to create your remarks/posts in Microsoft Word and copy and paste them into the blog. Sometimes, if you write a really long post, it won't upload and you can lose your text. If that happens, go back and copy it all to save it, if possible. Just a suggestion for new comers to blogging and posting.
We can post images. I have made everyone an author which means you can download 300K or smaller pics.
Other than that, share your introductions, kick back, breathe; as we begin a semester of inquiry into research of art making and writing. It's only Week Two where I have added 30 pages. If you are a slower reader, feel free to read ahead as well.
Let me be the first to introduce myself. Prior to pursuing a PhD degree from 1989-96, I was an elementary art teacher for eight years. I taught at one time 780 kids a week at three schools with no art rooms. Like many of you, while teaching, I pursued and finished a Masters degree. I took a graduate oil painting class where the professor said about my first painting which was looking down a staircase from the main door of a second floor flat: “If this is any indication of what you are capable of, you need to drop this class.” I didn’t drop. I ended up with an A. I remember making wood collages from the scraps I would collect at my dad's carpenter shop. I wanted to know more about teaching so I thought the PhD would be the route. I spent seven years learning about making art, social justice and outreach in Madison, WI. And, writing a dissertation. Since 1996, I have been teaching at Tech. I was born and raised in Manitowoc, WI, a historic aluminum capital in the Midwest. Mirro Aluminum produced kitchen cook wear; the Aluminum Specialty made those aluminum Xmas trees in the 50s and 60s. My hometown located on Lake Michigan was also a shipping port with large shipyards. Raised white and working class, I never imagined that college was a possibility. Most of my friends in the 70s were tracked to vocations rather than college. They ended up in wiener plants, Mirro, and other assorted factories. Their experiences of schooling were rough and disconnected as were some of mine. I like to learn and read and watch. I noticed how working class kids were treated differently than middle class kids. Very few working kids ever thought of themselves as learners or had time to—many of us had jobs after school.
ReplyDeleteSo, I make art about growing up; whether it’s what it was like growing up gay, or making art about my working class roots or being white--my hometown, aunts, uncles, my parents; cousins. I see my art, my teaching and my writing as acts of hospitality in a way. I learned about the importance of hospitality from my parents. Our house was a hub for visitors—especially our kitchen. Each of my parents had ten and fourteen siblings; so, lots of uncles, aunts and cousins. I was born into white working class communities that shared talent and skill and I continue to value many working class environs, even though I am considered middle class by peers and family. This is what I make art about.
Favorite artists of mine that come to mind (and by that I mean I looked around my books and my home): Dead: David Wojnarowicz, photographer Peter Hujar, Living: Lubbock painter Lahib Jaddo, photographer John Dugdale, Madison, WI painter Helen Klebesadel, French gay camp artists Pierre et Gilles, painter Patssi Valdez, the Guerrilla Girls, writer Sherman Alexie, and ceremonial artist Donna Henes. That’s a sampling.
So, do you struggle to insert art making into your life? (Keep in mind that I also write and consider writing as artful.) If you do, you are not alone. I notice that when I stop making art (and writing), I feel less when I teach--as if something is missing in my soul.
If you have one, insert an image of something you made recently, an idea or sketch or posts about ambitions or ideas you have. You can see that I have added an Introduction and Art post. If no art, just post your introduction here. Or post an address where we can see something.
Other than that, share your introductions, kick back, breathe; as we begin a semester of inquiry into research of art making and writing.
Hi ed, Being from Chicago we would got o northern Wisconsin often and especially as a kid I attended summer camp in Hayward Wisconsin and in Chippewa Wisconsin.My dad grew up on a farm in Wisconsin and would always talk about Washington Island..I think?Can't exactly remember.I am excited about the class.
DeleteHi Ed, look forward to taking the class,hope you had a nice summer.
DeleteYou having such a big family explains why you were such a good host this summer. In regards to your question- I do struggle to do my own art while I'm a teacher. I feel so tired all the time and it takes a great effort to create my own work. When I get started, however, I don't want to stop. Time slips by without me realizing it.
DeleteCandie, Very true..I know the feeling,I try to work at school now and at home,it helps a bit with the time
DeleteNi hao! (Hello) from Beijing everyone. My name is Nigel. I was born in Belize, moved to Texas when I was 7 and grew up in The Woodlands/ Conroe area. I am currently living and teaching in Beijing, China, since February of this year, as an ESL teacher. I did my undergrad at SHSU in graphic design with a focus in Fine Art.
DeleteI taught middle school art in Texas in the 2014-2015 school year before moving to China to teach ESL. I am pursuing my MAE because I will be returning to the states in February and want to be a more effective art teacher. I left teaching art after a year as I was dealing with some personal doubt about my ability to be an effective art teacher and was not sure that I wanted to continue teaching art. For the past year I have had the opportunity to teach both art and ESL classes to Chinese students. I have had time to reflect on and think about what I want to continue doing in the future. I have come to the realization that I want to continue teaching art.
I know that the support and knowledge I would gain from Texas Tech MAE program will help me to become a more effective art teacher. It would also help me in realizing my new dream of teaching art around the world. I am excited to take what I will learn and share it with students around the world.
PS: I am 13 hours ahead of everyone so, when you are waking up I'm going to bed.
Introduction
ReplyDeleteHello all. My name is Justin Clumpner, and after this class, I am nine credits away from completing my MAE. I am currently teach at the high school level in Rockwall, which is a small district just east of Dallas. This is the only district I’ve worked for, and I’ve been here since 2009. They treat me very well, and I have no inclination to leave anytime soon. I was born in the south suburbs of Chicago and moved to Dallas when I started working here in Rockwall. I have a BFA in computer art from the Savannah College of Art and Design as well as a BFA in Art Education from the University of Illinois in Chicago. I currently live in Dallas.
I grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago in an area that was a mix of working class families of mostly Irish and Italian descent that was shifting to include poor and working class blacks and hispanics. By the time I was in high school the region had become a pretty balanced mix between white and minority families. After I finished getting my degree at UIC, my brother had already relocated to Dallas on the insistence of his Oklahoma born wife who just could not take the winters. Given the cost of living in Chicago, and the lifestyle a teacher salary would afford there, I decided to follow along. I met my wife shortly after moving down here, and we just had our second daughter in May.
I really like working in art education and have no desire to leave my current job. I teach three Art 1 classes, Painting, Pre-AP Studio Art 2 and AP Studio Art Drawing. I would prefer one less Art 1 in exchange for another painting class, but that’s my only real complaint. I have enjoyed getting involved in curriculum design here, as there was nothing in place when I arrived, and really enjoy the quality of work my team and I are doing. I’ve gotten into presenting at the State and National Art Education Association conferences and I write a blog on my thoughts on art education. This year I will be presenting twice at the Dallas TAEA, but skipping the NAEA conference, as that new kiddo is taking up a lot of time.
The artwork I make personally is usually a mix of collage and paint, but mostly paint. I prefer oils, but I usually work in acrylics for the convenience. It makes it easy to haul around a painting with me wherever I go and to work in the little windows of time that I have. The ideas I have been working with came about under the second Bush administration, and I really began investigating them after I moved to Texas. That was the first time I really heard talk of the united States as a “Christian nation.” There was something about that notion that struck me as odd. I am Catholic and attended Catholic grade school, and the actions of this country often times don’t seem very Christian. So, I’ve been playing with trying to make the imagery and iconography of Christian artwork with the imagery of our contemporary culture.
There is a little gallery here in Dallas, Kettle Art, that regularly shows my work. I probably do one three-person show and a few group shows a year. There are good crowds and it’s in a lively neighborhood, but not a lot of work sells. Every once in awhile I will sell a big painting, but mostly the tiny ones move. It’s a great little community of artists though and I don’t really have the time or motivation right now to pursue other galleries.
Over the summer was the first time I have struggled in finding the life/work/art balance, but that was mostly due to having a newborn. I am starting to get back into a routine that should be more productive. My students are just about settled in which usually means I can set up and paint alongside them every once in awhile.
Hi Justin, I did not know you were raised in South Suburb of Chicago, Which one?Flossmore?I grew up on the souhtside of Chicago and in Hyde Park,where I attended University of Chicago high school.I did not know you went to U of I,circle..I also have a BFA in Graphics from U of I at Champagne-Urbanna campus.Funny,a small small world...
Deleteand
Not far from Flossmoor actually. I grew up in Hazel Crest and then we moved to Homewood when I was 14.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHi Justin, Good to see you again and I look forward to reading your thoughts and posts.
DeleteHey everyone! My name is Katy Cook and this is my first class and first semester at Texas Tech! I am currently a K-5 art teacher in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma (a suburb of Tulsa). I was a 4th and 5th grade teacher for 9 years before making the switch to art. This is my second year teaching art and I can’t imagine doing anything else.
ReplyDeleteI hardly have any time to do my own personal artwork anymore. I have a little side business that I do art projects for others- including custom painted shoes. I wish I had more time because I get to the point where I feel like something is missing. I mainly do photography and painting working with watercolors. Staff meetings are about the only time I get to do draw something I want! I’m new to working with clay and have really enjoyed teaching my students as I am learning.
My absolute favorite artist is George Catlin. I’m pretty lucky because the Gilcrease Museum here in Tulsa has several of his pieces. I also really enjoy Dale Chihuly’s sculptures, and wish that there was somewhere close that I could see more of it or even better work with glass myself!
In May I graduated from Oklahoma State University with my Masters in Curriculum and Instruction. I started that degree before I started teaching art. I originally thought that I wanted to be a curriculum specialist, but have finally found my niche. I’m new to the blogging world, too. I’ve got to admit, I’m a little nervous about starting this program, but I’m also really excited.
Hi Katy and nice to meet you.I love Tulsa.I spend some time in Kansas and actually own a home and 7 acres there so we occasionally went to Tulsa.Don't worry,I was new to Blogging also and you will absolutely love this course and blogging.
DeleteIt's good that you found what makes you happy. Welcome and don't be nervous :)
DeleteHi Everyone, My name is Susan Harmon but please call me Susie,every time someone calls me Susan I cringe as that name was used by my mother if I did something wrong..lol..but still bothers me..anyway, I have been in Texas for five years,we relocated here when my husband accepted a Chair position of the art department at Howard Payne University in a small town called Brownwood.We both love teaching art there,currently I teach ceramics and contemporary rafts there and I also teach at Central Texas College,Fort Hood campus and Marble Falls campus,Design 1 now and Art Appreciation now...yes I travel to different parts of Texas each day but I really love my students.I also teach online several art courses at different schools.I am a painter and exhibit quite often and most nights till 2am I am in my studip working as I typically work very large,10'x 7' is a typical size.I have 4 boys in grad schools all over ;one in Russia teaching,one in Palo Alto working on a PhD,one who is Lecturer at Texas State University and one who is a TA and grad student at Sam Houston University.whew..any way I have a piece in a Chicago gallery,one at a juried exhibit called I WITNESS at Bradley University,one in a northern California exhibit and in Austin and somewhere else..cannot remember..lol..Dave and I have an exhibit at Sul Ross University during the TASA conference and I am just about to ship the work out....what else.I am posting the 60' mural I created for the downtown city of San Marcos....I really enjoy these courses and blogging which is still new to me...I look forward to working with all of you in class.Susie
ReplyDeleteoops meant Crafts not rafts
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHello, my name is Andrew Hernandez and I’m a first year MAE Student. I completed my undergraduate at Texas Tech University in spring of 2015 with a degree in Visual Studies and an emphasis in Sculpture. This is my second year teaching 6th, 7th, and 8th grade Art at Dunbar College Preparatory Academy. I always told Ed, Future, and anyone who would listen that I would NEVER teach middle school, so of course that’s what I was hired to teach. In the end it's been the hardest job of my life, but the small victories that keep me moving forward as a teacher.
ReplyDeleteMy relationship with art has always been Therapeutic. Art doesn’t function as a means of relaxing or even enjoyment, in a typical sense. Ever since I was a child I have had anxiety. I would often panic over small things like having to go to school and often worried that my emotional responses to things were inappropriate due to my conservative father. For example, worrying if it was okay to cry when I was sad or scared and worrying that my interests were too “girly”.
Art making was always something stabilizing. It’s something that is both structured and chaotic and finding that sweet spot of control and creative reflection is what drives me to keep making art. I don’t make art with the idea of displaying in galleries. The enjoyment I get from making art is that it helps me talk to myself and work through problems.
I take most of my inspiration from the women in my life. One of my earliest creative moments was learning to embroider and sew hems on pants with my grandma Andrea Hernandez-Padilla. Looking at her strong, work stricken hands manipulate delicate pieces of fabric with thin breakable strands of thread to create images of crosses and praying hands inside her embroidery hoops inspired me to draw on bill envelopes and memo pads. My mom’s (Sofia Hernandez) artistic influence was her intense work ethic. While I work to live, she lived to work and serve her family. My sister showed me it was okay to like “boy” things, “girl” things because in the end it didn’t matter. My cousin Nikki Pickard taught me that bad times are temporary, because in the end we all become equals and life was just an experience.
I mostly work in digital mediums now as I feel they combine everything I love about art making. It’s highly structured, and in a strange way is very similar to sewing and embroidery due to its repetitious nature.
Here is a link to my digital artwork (andrewunderscoreart.tumblr.com)
My tangible work is much different as I do not like to manipulate materials as much and prefer for the material to convey much of the message.
Here is a link to my physical portfolio (https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewhernandezart/albums/)
Here is a link to my time based portfolio (https://vimeo.com/andrewunderscorevideo)
I like for people to take what they want from my art, but I’m always open to questions and other interpretations.
Cool work, I like the circular painting in your physical portfolio especially and also you last self portrait.Very nice!Nice to meet you.Susie
DeleteI am doing embroidery with my classes right now and they LOVE it. The boys are hesitant to begin, but once they do they don't want to stop.
DeleteI am from a small central Texas town and was raised in a mostly rural, working class environment. Being an extreme introvert, small town life was challenging and I had difficulties conforming to the local values.
ReplyDeleteI received my BFA in Visual Art Studies from UT. I am married and have two wonderful children. I have been a Texas art educator in the Ft. Worth area for sixteen years now, teaching mostly elementary aged students. About halfway through that journey lies an enlistment in the U.S.Army.
For me, art is a meditative activity, intrinsic and gratuitous. My home is overloaded with art and I do not show regularly. I mostly paint and do stone sculpture, but I have recently gotten back into potter.
Education is a wonderful field for me because discussing and teaching art concepts and skills brings me into the world. I see education as both a duty and a privilege. My current interests are pushing the limits of choice based instruction and finding was to integrate basic art knowledge and skills into the over-exposed lives of children today. This is my first year of the MAE program.
Hi James,Nice to meet you!Our oldest son is also named James and he is also a painter and does clay work.Anyway I look forward to seeing you in class.did you get a chance to see The Stella show at Tne Museum of Modern Art there?It was amazing...Susie
DeleteJames, why are you not teaching at the high school? I mean seriously. I realize the littles are receiving a superior elementary ed. but I feel you would strengthen our high school program GREATLY!!
DeleteMy name is David Harmon.I was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri.At one time there were 3 women who helped to raise me in one household,including my great grandmother,grandmother and my birth mother.My father and grandfather were there as well, but I sought consul from them.I am 63 years old and am in my second year in the PhD visual art program at TTU.I am an artist/painter who is also an educator ,(currently chair and professor of art )in college and university since 1982.my upbringing included my being surrounded by artists. have taught art in large and small art departments in several states and overseas.I am a husband and father of 4 boys ranging in age from 25-31.Raising 4 children requires both parents to be in agreement as to how to properly raise children-boundaries vs. freedom and resultant consequences.The art of consensus works much better than dissension which causes discord and confusion for the children.Thus, my wife and I have compromised in many ways leading to each child embracing education as freedom, having gained their BA/BS in their respective fields.This,of course, is not easy and required much nurturing and time .They are also current graduate students.Feminist theory and practice have changed since the 1960's and 1970's.The 70's was my era of discovery.So much was happening then in terms of awareness to personal identity and social issues.It was during this period I had become aware of feminism, which at that time was mainly focused on women's issues.However, I now realize that men are declaring themselves feminists.I hope to build on my knowledge base of this and other related aspects through the course readings and posts of my classmates.I am also curious as to how artists especially in the 21st century, have dealt with ECO ART issues in their respective art forms.
ReplyDeleteHi Dave...we have to stop meeting like this..lol
DeleteHello! My name is Debbie Caillet and this is my first class with the MAE program at TTU. I graduated from the University of North Texas with my BFA in visual art studies. I am a K-5 art educator and love every day the opportunity to teach children to discover, explore, appreciate, and create with art. I have 3 children of my own and I have been lucky enough to be their art teacher all through their elementary years.
ReplyDeleteFunny story.... my love affair with the arts began as early as the first grade opening up a brand new box of crayons. Throughout my education, I knew an art degree was to be mine but what would I do with it?? How would I earn a living? One thing for certain was, I was NOT going to be a teacher! Oh no..that would be beneath my BFA! Ha! WELL…Little did I know that being an educator for the arts would be my greatest accomplishment (other than my children, of course). I do not have a job, I have a career. I have taught in 3 schools, under 3 amazing principals, that have allowed me autonomy in my art room. Currently, I also assist the Fine Arts director of our District as the lead art teacher for K-12. I do not like to think of my administrative role as a manager of people but rather an advocate for the district’s art program. My return for a masters was never to be because of an opportunity to advance in the education arena but more I felt it was time (after 20 years of teaching) to expand by giving myself the opportunity to learn, grow, and make art. Teaching elementary students and raising children on your own leaves little time for your own work. Yes, I am thoroughly excited to begin my MAE and feel it is a privilege to be doing so right alongside all of you.
I grew up in Plano, TX. My father is my rock and biggest supporter. Education is important and valued in my family. While we have 2 animal vets, a Dr, dentist, CPA, psychologist, and a MBA, artists we all are whether it be collecting or creating. As for me, I am a painter, a mixed media artist and a book maker. It’s a great day when my ArtSnacks box is in the mail.. for I love a variety of art mediums and it is a great day everyday with my students. They inspire me, how they look at art, what their first stroke looks like, and how they do not second guess themselves. They just create with pure excitement.
I wish I could tell you my focus with my MAE (being transparent here) so many thoughts about arts education, so much I have learned as an adult and through the eyes of my students. I am looking forward to this new journey and to new discoveries.
Hi Debbie, What a great story you have and your career sounds awesome!Nice to meet you
DeleteNice to meet you as well
DeleteHello, everyone!
ReplyDeleteMy name is Candace Printz, but most people call me Candie. I was born in El Paso, Texas, but grew up in Corpus Christi. I ended up back in El Paso around the age of 16, when an aunt that lived here offered to help me with college expenses. She also happened to be a math teacher (my weakest subject) and she would tutor me until I understood the content. I don’t know what I would have done without her. I graduated from the University of Texas at El Paso with a Bachelors in art ed. I teach high school art in El Paso now. My classes consist of IB (International Baccalaureate) jnrs and snrs, Sculpture II, III, IV, and two classes devoted to a desert cleanup/art project we’re doing this year called It’s Your World (http://www.sisd.net/Page/46847). I don’t make art as much as I’d like to, due to the fact that I get home around 8pm most days. I long to have more time on the pottery wheel or to hand-build with clay. I just love the smell, feel, and possibilities when it comes to clay. I have a boyfriend of 5 years, two beta fish, and two dogs (a pit mix named Kumu and a cattle dog named Luna). I took two studio courses in the summer- printmaking and ceramics- and one online course- critical pedagogy. I am looking forward to this class and can’t wait to read the books.
The It’s Your World project has taken up a great deal of my time lately. I entered a contest through Barnes & Noble. Teachers were asked to submit a project that would help their community in some way and I entered with the idea to adopt a section of the Chihuahuan Desert to clean up. We would then collect, wash, and sort the trash. After the collection portion of the project is done, we will have artists offer workshops to educate students and the community about how they can work with these materials. We will also have rangers and people from the zoo come in to educate the community about what these items do to the desert soil, plants, and animals when they’re not disposed of properly. After the art has been created, we will have a juried exhibition that will open in El Paso, Texas, move on to Las Cruces, New Mexico, and end in Juarez, Mexico to better educate our entire region. All artwork will be for sale and all of the proceeds will go back to 3 local non-profits- Make-A-Wish, Humane Society, and the Chihuahuan Desert Education Coalition. The amount of the proceeds will be determined by how many hours the non-profits log helping us with this project.
I submitted this idea and, shockingly, was the sole winner in the national. Because of this, Chelsea Clinton came to my school in April to do a kickoff event for this. My school allowed me to have two classes devoted to this project in order to help me throughout this year-long endeavor. My students have become my board members and help me run everything! They are secretaries, photographers, writers, treasurers, pr/social media people, and historians. We just had our second cleanup out of ten and I’m so thrilled that 31 people showed up. I will post pictures, if you like, so you can see what we’re up to as the project progresses. It has taken a great deal of my time, as you can imagine. I am excited and exhausted at the same time.
How exciting! This is a WOW kinda moment for sure!I did a series of art works informed by the book Daughters of Juarez.I still have not made it to ElPaso or Juarez but I am hoping this is the year!Nice to meet you!
DeleteYou should come! If you do, I can show you around!!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMy name is Chase Lampley. Sorry for the late introduction, but I have been without internet or phone for the last several days. Thought I would have it at the lake, but really cant complain that I was technology-less. I am getting close to finishing this program as well and probably have about 1 more year.
ReplyDeleteI have been married for 10 years and have 3 children: 9,7,and 3. Typically, the little free time I have is spent hanging out with the family, coaching my kids in sports, or doing what daughter calls 'my projects.' Most of my hobbies consist of something outdoors: hunting, fishing, sports, etc.
My road to being an art teacher was not the easiest, though. Originally, out of high school I wanted to go to school to be an art teacher. But life seemed to take me on a different journey. I had the opportunity when I was 21 to go work in Hawaii for a few months as a plumbing contractor. While there, I was asked to stay as a superintendent for a remodeling company. It meant dropping out of school, but also meant living in Hawaii for the year and a half. When the project was complete, I can home. I went back to finish school, but felt led to finish my degree in business. I then worked as an investment consultant for 6 years. Throughout that 6 years, the desire to teach never went away. At the height of my career in that field, I decided to walk away and get certified to teach art. Not a popular choice in my house at the time, but couldn't be happier.
I have now entering my 4th year teaching at Aledo High School, where I teach Art 1, Art 2, Photography and AP Photography. The MAE program has been great for me as teacher and as an artist. It has really revived my passion for making art.
That is an interesting story. Hawaii must have been amazing, though. It's good you're happy now and doing what you've always wanted to.
DeleteFunny how life will eventually bring you around to what your heart desires. Happy to meet you and happy you are doing what you love.
DeleteHi, my name is Zack Smith. I was born and raised in Alpine Utah (near Salt Lake City). I got my undergrad from BYU in finance. I've been in the MAE program since January. I have been married for 5 years and have a 1 year old boy named Hank.
ReplyDeleteI'm a full time student right now and a part time stay at home Dad and I work on small projects on the side.
I love music, art, being a Dad, and anything active. I love soccer and being outside in nature. Most of my spare time is spent with my wife and son or playing music by myself or with friends.
Hi Zack and nice to meet you,Susie
DeleteYay-Zack! Glad you're in the class with me again Should be fun!
DeleteHello, My name is Angela Zesiger. I was born and raised in Lubbock, TX. I moved back to Lubbock after my divorce to raise my two kids, Zander and Aspen. I got my teaching certificate and know I teach at Ervin Elementary. I always loved working with kids. My first job was at Pistol Pete’s Pizza where I hosted birthday parties, worked in the game room and later became Assistant Manager. At the age of 23 I moved to Austin, TX as the General Manager of Discovery Zone. In the next 17 year I would live in about 10 different places from Virginia Beach to Colorado Springs to South Korea just to name a few.
ReplyDeleteI have loved art since I was in middle school. My middle school and high school art teachers had the most meaningful influence on my adolescent self-esteem. They taught me that I mattered and could do anything I put my mind to. I got my bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts from the University of Houston in Clear Lake. I took classes from 5 different universities before I finished up my last two years at UHCL. I was on the 20 year plan.
I am a 3-D artist but I like to dabble with painting. I love ceramics and sculpture and have found a new love of jewelry making. I like creating mix media artwork with material like wood, metals and fiber. I also like making art with found objects. I am transforming used plastic bottles into artwork. I have been told that I have a fascination with textures and I would have to agree.
I am real excited to be in this class. I started my MAE this summer.
Hey, Angela! Hope you're well. I miss your pizza pan breakfasts!
DeleteHi, I am doing great. I hope you are doing good. I know everyone loves the breakfast pizzas. My kids got home from their dads and wanted breakfast pizza. lol I miss everyone can't wait till this summer.
DeleteHi Angela,Nice to meet you.I hav e lived in about the same number of places also why have you moved around?I also have attended many schools also.
ReplyDeleteMy ex husband is in the military. We moved about every 2 years.
DeleteGreetings all-
ReplyDeleteApril here, and I will start from the beginning while keeping it brief. I was born and raised in Dallas, jumping around quite a bit (I went to a new high school every year...complicated story) and then finally settled in Lubbock where I have been for 13 years now. I thought I would only be in Lubbock for 2 years by the way, but it grew on me. Coming from the neighborhoods in Dallas I grew up in to Lubbock was almost a culture shock. It was a lot safer though, and I was away from the things that got me in trouble. Art also helped keep me out of trouble as I watched my old friends either get locked up or die. I am the first in my family to go to college and am fortunate enough to be able to work on a Master's. I was able to get a job at Lubbock High School a few years after getting my BFA in Visual Studies at TTU. I am on my 6th year teaching there, with one prior year at a small school for ADHD/Dyslexia. Public school is the place for me, Title I specifically. I teach Art 3 Ceramics, Art 3 Jewelry/Sculpture and 5 sections of Art 1 (ugh!!). Hopefully one day I will find a job applying my skills in another form other than teaching. Working 10 hours a day for The Man is killing me. Or perhaps a teaching job at the junior college level. I also enjoy music, culinary endeavors and collecting Pez.
Teaching sucked the artist out of me.
At the beginning of teaching, I was really missing out on who I really was. I started dedicating myself to art more just recently in the past 2 years. Come to think of it, reconnecting with the art community via the MAE program was the catalyst. I have sold so many more pieces than I ever imagined and somehow secured many commissions jobs. I guess I would call myself a painter but I really do mixed media, and some jewelry occasionally. I think I was just waiting for the right time to expose myself as an “artist”. Also, teaching got in the way. I just recently had work shown at the A.I.R. Gallery in NYC and a few local spots here and there. I have published album artwork for a hip-hop artist in Minnesota and love collaborations. Making art again revived me, and going to Junction two summers ago reignited my spark. I've also been told I don't have any confidence when it comes to my art, but I suppose we are all like that to some degree. I will post some photos of my work in the other thread if interested.
Hi April,So you do not teach anymore?And you sell much of your work?Wonderful for you!I hope it all works out,Look forward to getting to know you,Susie
DeletePost Marker.
ReplyDeleteNi hao! (Hello) from Beijing everyone. My name is Nigel. I was born in Belize, moved to Texas when I was 7 and grew up in The Woodlands/ Conroe area. I am currently living and teaching in Beijing, China, since February of this year, as an ESL teacher. I did my undergrad at SHSU in graphic design with a focus in Fine Art.
ReplyDeleteI taught middle school art in Texas in the 2014-2015 school year before moving to China to teach ESL. I am pursuing my MAE because I will be returning to the states in February and want to be a more effective art teacher. Hopefully I will be teaching high school when I return. I left teaching after a year as I was dealing with some personal doubt about my ability to be an effective art teacher and was not sure that I wanted to continue teaching. For the past year I have had the opportunity to teach both art and ESL classes to Chinese students. I have had time to reflect on and think about what I want to continue doing in the future. I have come to the realization that I want to continue teaching art.
I know that the support and knowledge I would gain from Texas Tech MAE program will help me to become a more effective art teacher. It would also help me in realizing my new dream of teaching art around the world. I am excited to take what I will learn and share it with students around the world.
PS: I am 13 hours ahead of everyone so, when you are waking up I'm going to bed.